Bizarre Question: One of life's little mysteries......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so this is a bizarre question and something that has puzzled me for a couple of years on and off - so - wonder if anyone here can solve this!

I have noticed that when bath water is let go and emptying (or water is going down the overflow!) I get a kind of creaking from a pipe (I think) up in the ceiling of the bathroom. It's the kind of "normal creak" you might expect to hear when maybe water is heating up or cooling down, so it's not a problem in any way - it just simply intrigues me as it only ever happens when the water is emptying - to my mind the water is obviously flowing straight down (!!!) so how can I hear a creak in a pipe in the ceiling when this is happening???

Come on someone - please put me out of my misery ! ! !

Sponsored Links
Kevplumb

Cheers for that - but being a little thick when it comes to matters like this, could u please advise how the noise appears to come from the pipe above when water is emptying???

Sorry to sound really stupid - just curious !

Cheers

take a small to the plasterboard where the pipe comes thought the ceiling.
and make sure the pipe isn't in contact with anything.

problem solved :LOL:

Sponsored Links
see if it still creeks if the water is alowed to cool to ambient temperature before pulling the plug.

Maybe the window and door seals are so good, that empying the bath is producing a partial vaccum in the room and the ceiling is bowing down. :p

brumylad said:
see if it still creeks if the water is alowed to cool to ambient temperature before pulling the plug.

Maybe the window and door seals are so good, that empying the bath is producing a partial vaccum in the room and the ceiling is bowing down. :p

:LOL: :LOL: you jest of course :LOL: :LOL:

LOL :LOL:

I reckon if 2 Jags carries on, to alow the bath water to drain from their hermetically sealed new home, it will be necessary for the householder to first open the air lock.

Hissssss. :D

I was given to understand that the new european directive insists that we follow the French and only wash once a month to conserve water

T Bliar commented that if the average householder only washed on the 1st of every month they could save an average of £149.47 per year.

There we go, I said a short while back about saving the planet with one hand by mountains of regulations and then throwing water away with power showers and unvented cylinders ect.

I think kevplumb nailed this first time; expansion. Does the soil stack rise into (and probably through) the roof space above the bath ? Does it creak when you empty cold water out of the bath (which has already been suggested too). Easier to answer these questions to satisfy your curiosity than keep this thread running :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back