Numerous plumbing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into this house in October 2004 and the plumbing hasn't been right since.

When we flush the downstairs toilet there's a horrible noise through the pipes and we have virtually no running water from the hot tap in the upstairs bathroom. If it runs at all, it only lasts a few seconds before running dry.

We've tried playing with the water pressure but to no avail. Unless it's on full the stop tap leaks too, just to add to the problem.

We do have a leak in the downstairs cistern mechanism, which will be fixed, but I wouldn't have thought this would cause the problem, would it?

Can anybody help? I'm getting a tad fed up with it all now.

Thanks.

Sarah

Sponsored Links
Well, you're going to need someone to look at it, there is something odd in having the toilet cistern fed from the hot water supply, (and giving very expensive hot flushes). It can't be much of a problem if you have lived with it for 8 months.

swub....wait another year....i'm moving to yorkshire next summer !

Sorry, maybe I didn't word it very well. The hot water supply in the upstairs bathroom isn't connected to the toilet problems in the downstairs bathroom. There's never a decent supply of hot water up there and flushing the toilet makes no difference.

JCP, let me know when you move over. I think we may need somebody so if you're available....

Sarah

Sponsored Links
Water shouldn't run dry from a combi boiler, as it 's fed from the mains supply - it may be cold but should still run.

Does the noise from your toilet happen when it stops filling? :confused: Or when it is filling.

That noise may be solved by a new washer then.

Water OFTEN stops coming out of combis if there's a tap on somwhere else. All it takes is a poor mains pressure, a restricted mains pipe (like old lead) , a sludged or scaled up combi, or a combination of factors.

If you do a search you'll find plenty here on all those subjects!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back