new 3phase supply but only 2 working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on a new build theres a 3 phase supply coming into the house... at the board and at the meter it reads:

L1 244V
L2 10V
L3 244V

theres also a 3 phase socket coming off the board, which has a transformer ran from it. but the reAdings from the terminals on the switch to the transformer read:

L1 241v
L2 119v
L3 241v

can anybody make any sense of that??

Sponsored Links
What are you testing between phases and neutral ?

Sounds like a missing L2, or a very bad contact/connection. Either way it needs investigating.

As above, some fault with the supply.
The 119v is probably not 119v at all, but induced from the adjacent wiring.

The readings would probably be more consistent if the voltage was taken with a load such as an electric heater connected between L2 and neutral.

Sponsored Links
Most likely the main service fuse for L2 is blown or not even installed. If its sealed leave it to the DNO.

You say "house" is this a new private dwelling? If so is the 3 phase socket a temporary arrangement for on site equipment? Is it connected via the CU?

Anything tripped on the CU? I recognise that you say no L2 output at the meter which indicates the main service fuse but something on the board would most likely have tripped also.

Keep in mind the transformer or its cables may have taken out L2. Best to isolate that thing for now.

I assume this is either a new service or a new installation to an existing service? (I guess it has to one - lol!).

I am putting it out there....

You have not simply assumed that a three phase head has three phases present?

With SPLIT PHASE, it is more often than not presented to a triple pole head, with one fuse not doing anything. The metering will also be TP, often with the 'missing' phase connected, but with no cable from the meter.

Only a vague chance, but worth asking. Measure the voltage from phase to phase and see if it is higher than expected. Split Phase would give you 460 - 480 volts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back