Celotex GA3100 vs GA4100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My supplier offered to sell to me Celotex GA3100. I know Celotex manufacturer replaced it with GA4100. Would I make a mistake by accepting GA3100? Perhaps it has poorer qualities than GA4100? Do both of them have the same U value? Do you know what their U value is?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
In all honesty it'll be fine, The GA3000 insulation has been a stalwart insulation for years. It is very slightly less resistant to heat loss though.

However if you wanna get slightly more technical insulation does not have a U Value. A U-Value is an overall measure of a construction (like a wall or a roof or a floor) as to how resistant it is to loosing heat. The lower the U-Value the better.

Insulation is measured by an R Value which is the thermal resistance of a material that is how resistant is it to the transfer of heat through it. The higher the R-Value the better.

100mm of GA3000 has an R-Value of 4.30 m²K/W.

95mm of GA4000 has an R-Value of 4.30 m²K/W so is equivalent to 100mm of GA3000.

100mm of GA4000 has an R-Value of 4.50 m²K/W.

So the GA3000 series is less resistant to heat transfer. Really pretty insignificant though and its widely believed that this type of insulation looses some of its resistance to heat loss over time anyway (the gas leaks out).

Think of it as the new range is better rather than the old range is worse.

If you want to get all pedantic about it have a go on the Celotex U-Value calculator although you'll need to know the construction and what U-Value you're trying to achieve http://www.celotex.co.uk/Other-Resources/U-value-Calculator although you may have to login to use it.

ebay can be a good source of insulation.

So the GA3000 series is less resistant to heat transfer. Really pretty insignificant though and its widely believed that this type of insulation looses some of its resistance to heat loss over time anyway (the gas leaks out).

Maybe I should be concerned that their GA3100 has been sitting in their warehouse for some significant time now. Hasn't it been a few years now that GA4100 has been on the market? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sure, I just worry whether it will pass an inspection as this is for a newly extended.

its widely believed that this type of insulation looses some of its resistance to heat loss over time anyway (the gas leaks out).

Presumably by 'this type' you mean insulation boards in general not just Celotex in particular?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back