Leak on my chimneys after new roof fitted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, i'm after some friendly advise regarding some problems im having after my house had a new roof fitted.
I have water running down the brickwork on both my chimneys at opposite ends of my loft, the contractor fitted new code 4 lead flashing, i don't know if that included all the parts that make up the flashing or not. He has returned about 8 times to try and sort this and still it leaks, both chimneys have 3 pots, 1 fake (filled with cement) and 2 that they fitted vented cowls. So far he has re sealed the lead and said that this is now fine, he has capped the 'fake' pot, sealed the brickwork with a clear silicone resin and re shaped the lead to be tighter around the corners, they repointed the brickwork when the did the roof and now wants us to take the chimneys down to fix the problem that was not there before.
Last time we spoke to him he said he would have to speak to a roofers assosciation and get back to us.
The chimneys are on each side of my detatched house and they stand about 2 meters above the tiles he informed us that this is a problem due to them being 'side stacked'??
Each time they leak it ruins the re-decoration that we have done.
Sorry this is a little long but both us and the contractor have ran out of ideas.
Where do we stand?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of the leadwork and the area of water penetration Andy?

Yeah, Please post a picture of the chimney/lead flashing, And where its leaking into the house.

It'll be alot easier to give you quality advice.

he said he would have to speak to a roofers assosciation and get back to us.

... the contractor have ran out of ideas.

This does not bode well at all.

It's going to be either the lead, the tiles/felt or the brickwork ... in that order. And if the roofer can't find out which, then there is going to be a trades description issue with him masquerading as a roofer

Post your pictures

Sponsored Links
he said he would have to speak to a roofers assosciation and get back to us.

... the contractor have ran out of ideas.

This does not bode well at all.

It's going to be either the lead, the tiles/felt or the brickwork ... in that order. And if the roofer can't find out which, then there is going to be a trades description issue with him masquerading as a roofer

Post your pictures

most likely the Flaunhing or even a hair line cracked tile

ill get on it, slightly risky job to get a pic of the lead work but ill try my best. Garage under one chimney and a glass lean-to under the other! great, think thats the reason they dont want to re scaffold the ends of the house!

most likely the Flaunhing or even a hair line cracked tile

But the felt would deal with any cracked tile, and unless the roofer has been rebedding the pots, then he wont have touched the flauching

Are you saying felted roofs don’t leak? The roofer might of accidently
Pearced the felt, my money is on the flaunching, sounds like the lead and brickwork has been checked to death

if water is running from rear probably back gutter either not correctly dressed or tiles not correctly trimmed to it. same if front its the apron
another common point of entry is where flashings are not fixed into masonry lead should be folded a absolute minimum of 20mm - 25mm we fix with stainless clips purpose made for job or rolled lead wedges. the joint should then be sealed with a two part polysulphide mastic. mortar generally cracks and should not be used. The felt wont hold 100% of water out as it will be cut to dress round chimney.

if water is running from rear probably back gutter either not correctly dressed or tiles not correctly trimmed to it. same if front its the apron
another common point of entry is where flashings are not fixed into masonry lead should be folded a absolute minimum of 20mm - 25mm we fix with stainless clips purpose made for job or rolled lead wedges. the joint should then be sealed with a two part polysulphide mastic. mortar generally cracks and should not be used. The felt wont hold 100% of water out as it will be cut to dress round chimney.

play it again sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back