Converting multi point lock on a composite door to std lock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure how to explain this but here goes, basically a front porch has been built with a new front door. Therefore I want to convert the old front door into a normal door that can be opened from both sides when unlocked without the need of a key. Also I want to be able to actually lock the door too with a key when the house is empty.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Is it because the door handle on the front doesn't operate - dead handle or dummy type?

The handle at the front works but only when the door is unlocked and the key is twisted simultaneously with the handle being pushed. I want the handle to open the door when the door is unlocked without the need of a key (just like how the inside handle operates).

Thank you

Have done this on many upvc doors by just changing the door handle to normal operating handle but not on the composite door, however, I don't see it's will be any difference unless the lock type if difference but can't say without seeing it. You can do a test by taking the door handle off and experiencing how the handle works and also temporary putting the inside handle on the outer side and see what happening, basically you need eg conservatory door lock type operating either side, if you're not confident, might be an idea for a locksmith to advise you and a simple modification to the exsisting lock

Sponsored Links
From the looks of it the lock type looks just like the one on the UPVC door on the porch. Do you know the name of the conservatory type locks or where I can buy a unit?

Thank you

At the moment you may not need a replacement lock yet, might be a simple of changing the door handle type or a modification, you need to investigate what can be done rather than changing the lock

OK tried handle swapping and it made no difference, do I need a different locking system etc?

Ok just to make sure what you've done is correct, on the outer door put the splindle in without the handle, can you turn it with a mole-grip or plier, does the latch goes in?

Ok just to make sure what you've done is correct, on the outer door put the splindle in without the handle, can you turn it with a mole-grip or plier, does the latch goes in?

The handles are attached to the spindles, doesn't seem to seperate. Anyway I swapped the handles today and it worked, the inside handle opened the door from the outside, unlike yesterday. If I can find the same handle set then I should be able to open the door from both sides, not sure how to go about that though. Any ideas?

Thank you again

EDIT: OK the door has two holes at different heights for the handles, the upper one allows the door to be opened without the key while the other doesn't which explains why if I swap handles I can only open the door if the handle is not fitted correctly. Therefore for both doors to open the door I need to have the same handle at the right height which brings about another problem as two spindles won't fit in the same hole.

Is there anything on the market that I can use to change my type of lock?

Normally some handle can be reversible, can you take a photo? also measurement of the splindle and euro lock distance on both side if difference if you can, you might need to buy 2 set of handle to overcome which will be cheaper and easier than changing the lock

The difference between middle of cylinder to middle of lower spindle hole is 7cm and 9cm for the upper spindle hole.

168000_167519_35704_69805829.jpg

168000_167519_35705_75274346.jpg

As you can see the handles are not reversible unless I manage to move the spindle hole on one of the handles.

Thank you

View media item 35705
I'm guessing the handle on the right which can open both side of the door? If so, then you need to buy a set of handle of that model. One of the spindle holes will turn the latch both side. They are available but you will need to know all the measurments.

fercohandles.jpg

http://www.doubleglazingsparesandrepairs.co.uk/doorlocks.html

There's plenty of companies out there, take your pick!

Goggle conservatory door handles etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back