connecting plastic to cast iron stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cast iron soil stack with cast iron branch to wc.I need to replace the branch with 4\\\" 110mm as it is corroding and is only 3\\\" diameter ( problems flushing big waste away) Could you tell me if I can connect a plastic branch into soil stack and if so how and how do I remove the cast iron branch,someone told me to grind the cast iron out and fit the plastic in, then make it good with putty is this correct?

Sponsored Links
There are a few methods, as k in your nearest decent plumbers merchant. There's a rubber Branch which goes in where your CI one is and has jubilee clips round the 3 pipes. Looks naff though.

It's much neater and not too difficult to replace the whole stackpipe.

micktamas said:
I have a cast iron soil stack with cast iron branch to wc.I need to replace the branch with 4\\\" 110mm as it is corroding and is only 3\\\" diameter ( problems flushing big waste away) Could you tell me if I can connect a plastic branch into soil stack and if so how and how do I remove the cast iron branch,someone told me to grind the cast iron out and fit the plastic in, then make it good with putty is this correct?

bit more info might help as in what size is the stack :?:

Hi the main long soil stack is 4" diameter with a 3" tee off to wc this is about 12" long from where it goes into the house, there is a coupling ( I think that is what it is) on this pipe and that is where it is starting to corrode

Sponsored Links
I did think about replacing the whole stack but there is the weight issue and also I am unsure how to take it out of the ground

It'll be cemented onto a conversion piece, at or just below ground level. You wiggle the CI slightly and lift it out, and remove the cement. I've siliconed the plastic in but there's probably something pukka for it.

I would just cut the bad bit out and replace with timesaver cast iron branch and sockets

doitall said:
I would just cut the bad bit out and replace with timesaver cast iron branch and sockets

Im sure someone has mentioned it before, but what is the preferred method to cut cast iron. I've got such a job coming up. I have to install a ground floor loo so need a branch at ground level. Think I may need to go a step further than what Chris suggested and try to chisel out the concrete since I need to be close to ground level for the right drop. 1:40 right?

Most folk use an angle grinder. 9" won't do it in one cut but after removing some pipe on the waste side you can end up with a square cut.

Take old stack down from the top. It usually wiggles apart, wall fixings and all. Not so heavy that you can't hold a length in one hand.

Hi - interesting thread. I need to join a new pipe into my cast iron stack and I need the timesaver CI branch. Where can I find one?

Thanks,
Josh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back