Paper directly on Plasterboard - how to replace it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Everyone, this is probably an old problem but I'm looking for advice on a specific problem within this situation... I'll explain.

I am decorating my Grandma's hallway, she wants its stripping down, and papering. When she moved in 5 years ago, she had a stud wall put in to replace some weird slatted, glassy, wall thing. My cousin, being my cousin did half a job and when the wall was done, papered straight onto the plasterboard. I now want to replace this paper so it matches the whole hall. Still with me?

What is my best plan to sort this out with minimal disruption/cost? The paper he used was slightly textured type stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help

Rob

Sponsored Links
Be prepared for the worst but if you are lucky the top of the paper will peel off and leave the backing paper. If this happens, and the backing is sound, you can paped directly onto it.

If you need to remove the backing paper then toy can do so by damping it with a sponge (do not over wet) and carefully scraping off. Unfortunately, you can expect some damage to the surface of the plasterboard paper but as long as you are careful it should be minimal. Any repairs can be done with something like Easifill.

This is what I feared! Quick fix initially, nightmare later down the line!

Can you skim over paper is that even shoddier workmanship? lol

Sponsored Links
I don't skimming over the paper is a good idea, but worth asking the plasterers.

Dec

Unfortunately you cant skim over wall paper; sounds as if some knob has just papered the PB without sealing it first or at least you would have been able to strip it off; typical tape & fill DIY bodge job. If you can get the paper off without causing too much damage to the PB, it’s possible to repair & then skim but if it’s too bad, the quickest & easiest solution is to either rip it off & replace it or overboard & get it skimmed, at least will be able to redecorate it again.

thanks for the help and advice everyone, sadly, it looks like you have just confirmed my fears :cry:

Perhaps I will just paint over that bit of the wall lol :LOL:

Well if you do intend to paint over it best let us know if it is a paintable paper.

Dec

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would keep you updated on this situation!
I successfully stripped the paper off the plasterboard and my plasterer friend has now done a lovely job of skimming the wall ready to be decorated properly!

Thanks all for the advice, I'm now just going to paint it with a emulsion/water mix and its ready to decorate :eek:)

Cheers, Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back