Cutting wood to match the profile of a dado rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my long-lost youth, I recall seeing a tool that traced the outline of an irregular edge (for example a dado rail). The tool was basically a piece of plastic that had a number of rods that were mounted in it, and pressing these against a dado rail would replicate the profile of it. This could then be used as a template for drawing, etc. Does anyone know if this tool still exists, and if so, what it is called or where it is available?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a good way to cut a piece of wood to match the profile of a dado rail.

Sponsored Links
Easy way to cut a profile for jointing (if that is your intent) is to cut a piece of the dado at 45* and then carefully cut along the edge where the face joins the mitre if that makes sense. Alternatively with a square cut stand it on a piece of card and simply draw around it.

I have had a profile gauge in my toolbox for years... not been used in many of them tho! They are useful-ish but I now find it quicker to judge by eye or using a bit of cardboard. I find the gauges can be misleading sometimes, so am wary of having too much confidence in them.

With cardboard you can trim away and assess/mark any cuts/gaps better and act accordingly I think.

Sponsored Links
i cannot remember the last time i used my gauge,think its buried in the garage somewhere.

i do the same as ladylola.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back