Replacing a fascia with a BT overhead line attached

S

smt3mm

I want to replace a simple stretch of fascia that has gone rotten. However, it has the overhead cable attached to it by a bracket with 3 screws.

Am I allowed to take this off and put it on the new fascia or do I have to ask BT to come and do it?

Am I correct in thinking that they would just screw through to the rafter behind or is there a special type of bracket they would use?

Thanks

Stuart

Sponsored Links
I want to replace a simple stretch of fascia that has gone rotten. However, it has the overhead cable attached to it by a bracket with 3 screws.

Am I allowed to take this off and put it on the new fascia or do I have to ask BT to come and do it?

Am I correct in thinking that they would just screw through to the rafter behind or is there a special type of bracket they would use?

Thanks

Stuart

Strictly speaking you're possibly not allowed but how will they ever know provided you do the job properly.

Bracket 22 is a ring on a triangular flat plate with three countersunk
fixing screw holes. Bracket 32 has a cranked arm with ring at one end
square plate at the other. Curly wurly is another name for the pigtail or
Dropwire Clamp 10A

https://www.systemstl.co.uk/viewcategoryitems.php?categoryid=331

There are also several ebay sellers.

[q

I have done so on many occasions just be careful and use some decent screws

uote="smt3mm";p="2067893"]I want to replace a simple stretch of fascia that has gone rotten. However, it has the overhead cable attached to it by a bracket with 3 screws.

Thanks

Stuart[/quote]

Be very careful trying to relieve the tension in the overhead span and re-tension it afterwards. It is a very good way of pulling yourself off a ladder.

For this reason, BT / Openreach engineers tension dropwire spans from the pole end, where they can secure themselves with a pole belt.

Sponsored Links
Remove a couple of tiles and tether it to a rafter. I could attach it to my old man and it would not pull it off!

When you screw the tri plate back on make sure that the screws you use go through into decent material.

Just a heads up for any new DIY'ers reading this post. Always make certain that it's a comm's wire and not an overhead power cable - take a tip from one who tried!

Datarebal, i didn't get the gist of your comment, what did you mean?

Be very careful trying to relieve the tension in the overhead span and re-tension it afterwards. It is a very good way of pulling yourself off a ladder.

For this reason, BT / Openreach engineers tension dropwire spans from the pole end, where they can secure themselves with a pole belt.

Yes, that had been going through my mind as I was thinking about the steps to complete the job. It might be the one thing that stops me doing it because there is nothing on the corner of the house that is good to attach me or the ladder to.

As a side note, I've been walking round our estate and quite a few cables now go to rawlbolts in the wall. I presume that coming along after a plastic fascia is up mean engineers can't see where the rafters are behind and the wall is the next best thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back