Paint coming off bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, the paint on my bathroom ceiling is peeling off. So i intend to strip it back to bare plaster and re-paint. Whats the best way to prep the ceiling for painting (probably be matt if thats suitable?). Thanks. Phil

Sponsored Links
If its coming off in sheets you've probably got the right idea but could be hard work if you've just got patchy flakey areas. If the latter is the case, scrape off the loose paint and give the whole ceiling a coat of zinsser peel stop and then apply two coats of acyllic eggshell not matt.

If you do strip the whole ceiling and its back to plaster you will have to apply a mist coat prior to eggshell. Also worth investigating and solving the reason why it flaked if you havn't already

Use White vinyl emulsion on the ceiling, won't absorb the moisture as much and flake off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Its not coming off in sheets its just little flaky patches. It could be me not doing good enough prep when i painted before. I think i just slapped on some emulsion straight to bare plaster! Could i use that special bathroom paint? If so can that be used a mist coat? Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back