Combi boiler leaking but not losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story but combi boiler wasn't giving me hot water so the diaphragm was replaced(covered by British Gas service). Later that day the water AND the heating wouldn't work AND there was a small leak from the bottom of the boiler.

Next day the heating and water was working fine - but the leak remained. Called BG back out and the guy checks all pipes and says they are fine and that it is just residual water laying in the boiler from when the diaphragm was fitted. He says it'll drip out and dry up and be fine - well 4 days later it's still leaking. The pressure is fine though. And I've had trouble once getting hot water.

Any ideas? Should I be patient, or give them another call?

Majorly stressed and paranoid about it all as I've just sold my house so not wanting any problems.

Ta edamburger

Sponsored Links
Ta for your reply.

It's only about 200ml that comes out each day but I thought it was too much to just have been residual.

Bit of a hassle calling them out and trying to get time off work etc Will have to speak nicely to the parents to come wait for the gas man..

Grrrr it picks it's time to break.... 6 weeks till house move....

Sponsored Links
Friendly local plumbers often come out after 5 if the job is not too big, and probably cost less in the bargain. :LOL:

Exactly Ben!

Tony

Friendly local boiler engineer!

As I recall BG offer timed appointments and their shift patterns stretch to at least 19:00 hrs so no need to take time off.(assuming you work 9-5)
If its leaking and not losing pressure then more likely on the mains water side.

Ta for your reply.

It's only about 200ml that comes out each day but I thought it was too much to just have been residual.

Bit of a hassle calling them out and trying to get time off work etc Will have to speak nicely to the parents to come wait for the gas man..

Grrrr it picks it's time to break.... 6 weeks till house move....

Nothing should be leaking get them back and pay nowt !!!!!!

Thanks everyone, they are coming back tomorrow - thank goodness for retired parents....

Just worried it's one of those daft wee things that can't be fixed.

Right, back to packing boxes....

If they say it can't be fixed they are lying. Get a second opinion don't believe just one person especially bg. Had a old girl caught the same way with a 3 year old boiler had it junked fitted a new all it was, was a crack in the hydroblock

Update,......

Leak was found and fixed, but water/heating wasn't working again so the air pressure switch was replaced which seemed to do the trick. However the girl seen that the pcb was being a bit temperamental so has ordered one for Monday.....

Somebody please tell me this will be the last!!

So it was a female engineer......................

But she is ordering lots of parts so the purchasors will get a renovated boiler!

Tony

Irrelevant but yeah female engineer... Have had 3 guys and 2 girls out and she seems the most clued up.

I was starting to wonder if there any more parts to replace lol!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back