peugeot 406 diesel cambelt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just bought a peugeot406diesel 1.9 engine i want to change the cambelt how difficult is this to do. i've been to my local garage and they have quoted me £300 to do the job.. i cant really afford that. so could someone please help i have done cambelts on petrol engine cars but never a diesel

Sponsored Links
I guess you have the XUD lump in this one, so there are no real problems.....the injection pump is held with 2 x 8mm bolts, and the cam with one.....the crank pulley nut is always bloomin' tight and putting the covers on is a scrape knuckle nightmare.
Tip for releasing the crank pulley bolt.....heat it up (softens the thread seal) stick the car in a high gear, get someone to press the brake pedal while you heave ho with a socket and breaking bar on the nut.
Consider the water pump condition and renew if there is any doubt. The tensioners are usually ok on these.
John :)

£300 sounds a little high for this job. I've had the belt changed on a Xantia before which I believe is the same engine and IIRC it was only about £150-200. Same with my old BX.

Sponsored Links
Back