Bathroom light Doesn\\\'t work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a Bathroom compatible light a few months ago that has 2 9w bulbs, the problem is, when it was initially installes it took a good 5 seconds to come on which i put down to the low energy bulbs. But it got longer and longer now it just doesn't come on at all, every other light works in the house and nothing tripped at main box! has anyone any ideas??? :confused:

Sponsored Links
No not yet but they are only 2 months old?
Would they go this quick?
The light used to have a dull hum when it was on but now......nothing!

Fudgie73 said:
No not yet but they are only 2 months old?
Would they go this quick?
Dunno.

Try the bulbs in another fitting, try other bulbs in the bathroom one...

Sponsored Links
moisture in the bathroom getting to the bulb circuitry - cheap bulbs included with light fittings?

This thread is so old I'm sure the issue was resolved.....thanks for posting the resolution!!

One thing it might have been was a poor connection in the light fitting.

I had one of those shower extractors that contain a light in the middle of the ceiling vent. In the cold weather the light didn't come on for ages and then when it finally did it flickered for a while (not suitable for epilepsy sufferers) and would finally stay on just as you were thinking about leaving the bathroom.

This was all caused by a small gap between the prongs of the bulb and the connections inside the plastic ceiling mount. As things warmed up because of the hot water the fitting/connectors would expand and complete the circuit.

As things warmed up because of the hot water the fitting/connectors would expand and complete the circuit.

Was the hot water flowing through the light fitting too? So it was an all-in-one fan/light/shower rose? Not seen them yet, might google them. . . .

Oh, and thanks for posting a resolution for a SIX YEAR OLD thread. I'm quite sure the OP hasnt been showering in the dark for 6 years. Your post refers to a 12 volt halogen fitting, which very often have faulty connectors, especially when combined with cheap bulbs. But the OP didnt have a halogen fitting . . .

Bayonet fittings are a solid, tight fit - they rarely go wrong. OFC, if it was a screw cap, thats different - these often go floppy in the back of the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back