Would sink draining to soil pipe affect the toilet flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a bit of a strange question but hope that somebody might be able to help. We have a low level wc in our cloakroom that has never been very efficient at flushing. It was there when we moved in and, although the water comes from the cistern with force like niagra falls, the toilet paper, etc does not flush away very well. The pipe connecting the toilet to the soil pipe also has a waste pipe coming in the side which carries waste from a sink and washing machine (and cannot be moved) - we were just wondering whether this waste pipe would have any affect on the flush. We are considering changing the toilet to a new close coupled unit to overcome the problem.

This may be a silly question but we cannot understand what is causing the problem and want to be sure that a new unit will work more efficiently.

Thank you very much indeed for any views and information.

Sponsored Links
You would need to look at the connection between the toilet and the soil pipe and check for any obstructions etc.

Also is it connected into a stack with an air vent at the top or into a long length of pipe with no air vent? It could be the pipe design is causing pressure to build up and impeding the flow.

Changing to a different WC is unlikely to resolve any problem with the pipe.

Hi, many thanks for the info - maybe I can provide a little more info. The waste pipe from the sink runs in to the side of the soil pipe connector as shown in the pictures. The soil pipe runs straight in to the ground to the main drain about 3 metres away. Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Does the pan fill up steadily when being flushed or does the water level remain constant before dropping to normal level when flushing is complete?

Hi, the water comes through to the pan with a lot of force and produces splashing on the toilet seat if down. The water level remains raised until the end of the flush when it settles back down. Thanks

If the water level in pan rises up when flushing then thats a sign of a restriction or blockage.

Remove the access cap and have a look.

Depending on age of pan and usage, it may be a build up of uric acid salts and scale in the outlet causing a restriction. Only way to tell is remove pan and look.

Hi, sorry I am not explaining this too well. The level of the water is not rising up in the pan as such. The water comes in to the pan with real force and is leaving cleanly out to the soil pipe - there is a clean run through to the drain. Everything seems to be fine but the waste just often does not flush away with the water. Our other toilet seems to have a far lower force of water and works fine. I have tried reducing the amount of water in the cistern but it makes no difference. I have also cleaned all the underside of the pan, etc.

Hi, I think you might be correct about the age - it has been in place for some 15 years even though it still looks like new. I have changed the cistern about 8 years ago but not the pan. I think I will need to change to a new toilet.

Reducing the level in the cistern wont help, in fact could be the cause! The older pans were designed to work with a 9litre (2 gallon) flush. There should be a line in the casting on the inside rear of the cistern showing correct water line when full, ensure cistern fills to this level.

Also check pan is level in all planes.

Many thanks for all the information - it is most useful. I think we have to accept that the toilet has come to the end of its life. I guess we need to change this for a more modern close coupled unit which will hopefully fit with our soil pipe location. I think the new toilets use less water so hopefully better all round. Thanks again for all the help.

Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I need to replace the pipe at the rear of the toilet and would like to be able to connect up the basin and washing machine to it. I am not sure of the name of the thing I am looking for but it is exactly the thing shown in the picture above. Can any body help by letting me know where I can buy this?

Matt

Ok. I think I know what I am looking for here so have started my new thread with a specific question in it.

Thanks,

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back