Blocking off light switch - adding switch to lamp holder...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

For various reasons I might need to block of the light switch in a bedroom. I really don't want to have to move the switch, re-decorate, plaster, etc. if I can help it....

So I've been thinking of solutions and the best I could come up with was to change the lampholders to switched type - either an actual switch or pull cord. I was just wondering if it is ok to do this? I'm guessing the light switch will need to left permanently on so that I can use the lampholder switches to turn the lights on..... And as such, I guess electricity is permanently going from the switch to the lights.

So before I go ahead I just wanted to check this is ok and whether there is anything else I need to consider.

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
For various reasons I might need to block of the light switch in a bedroom. I really don't want to have to move the switch, re-decorate, plaster, etc. if I can help it....
In what way do you mean 'block off' - put a wardrobe in front of it?
So I've been thinking of solutions and the best I could come up with was to change the lampholders to switched type - either an actual switch or pull cord. I was just wondering if it is ok to do this?
Yes, whatever you want as long as you do it properly.
I'm guessing the light switch will need to left permanently on so that I can use the lampholder switches to turn the lights on
Yes.
And as such, I guess electricity is permanently going from the switch to the lights.
Yes, but that doesn't matter.
So before I go ahead I just wanted to check this is ok and whether there is anything else I need to consider.
No. All you are doing is fitting an extra switch.

How many cables at the switch?

How many cables at the light?

Have you considered a separate pull switch?

Have you considered a remote controlled switch?

Can the switch be placed outside the room? (Obviously in most houses this could be very inconvenient.)

Hello

Huge thanks guys for the replies.... Much appreciated

In what way do you mean 'block off' - put a wardrobe in front of it?

That sort of thing. The room is being turning into a music studio and I need to apply acoustic treatment to the walls, including the area where the light switch is....

Yes, whatever you want as long as you do it properly.

OK. Is there anything I need to know in order to do it properly? Is it a simple case of removing the old a attaching the new? Or is there more to consider?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I should add her before answering the next questions that the room has two lights in it.

How many cables at the switch?

Just two - one red and one black.

How many cables at the light?

At light #1: Four - one red, one brown, one blue, one black.

At light #2: Eight - three red, one brown, one blue, three black.

Have you considered a separate pull switch?

Do you mean near the door like you get in bathrooms? If so, no I haven't.... That would be an option. What would it involved from a wiring point of view? If it helps, there's a loft above the room and there is access to the loft....

With regard to pull switches, I had been considering these sorts of things:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270794480537

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pull-swit...778209802&po=&ps=63&clkid=2267478236768984588

Are they any good? If so, are there better ones anyone would recommend? Can't seem to find too many on the net. Perhaps I'm not searching by the right terms.

Also, does anyone know whether there are problems with these devices if the cord gets close to or rests on the bulb?

Have you considered a remote controlled switch?

No - wasn't sure such a thing exists! What would you recommend? Does it simply replace the existing switch and use the existing wiring?

Can the switch be placed outside the room? (Obviously in most houses this could be very inconvenient.)

Unfortunately not as there is another door on one side and a window on the other as you enter the room

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Incidentally, now that I've looked at the wiring, I'd also be interested to hear what my options are for having separate switches for the two lights so that sometimes one can be on while the other's off.

Thanks a million for all the help.

Max

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Well, with a loft above you CAN do whatever you want.

You will probably be able to disconnect the switch and pull the cable into the loft.
If you can, then tie a piece of cord on the wire before pulling up an then leave in place in case you want to put it back as it was sometime in the future.
If you can't pull it through then you will be able to disconnect it at the light - or you could do this anyway.

You can reconfigure the lights and switches in any way you want.

Have a look here for wiring diagrams -
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582

P.S. your links didn't work.

Have seen your links. I suppose the pull-cords will be alright next to the lamp but I would not be keen on the string one. Can you have shades with those?

I would prefer separate switches which you could put in more convenient places.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back