Cooker wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to resite the cooker switch downwards by about 30cm. The current cable cannot be pulled through any further and I need to add an extension. The only terminal blocks I can find are rated at 30amp yet the circuit is 45amps. Am I able to get 45 amp terminal blocks and is this an acceptable way of extending the cooker cable?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why are you moving the switch? What were you planning to put the terminal block inside? (no it is not ok to bury it in plaster). It is best to crimp the cable, this is the most secure way.

I am having to move the switch because it will be in the way of the new cabinets and it is mounted quite high on the wall. I was going to put a blank cover plate over the existing box where the joint would be and then tile over.

Thanks for your advice.

If you are going to tile over then you can't use terminal blocks, crimps are the way to go, use suitably rated crimp connectors and a rachet crimping tool

Sponsored Links
Not sure if it would be of any use to you, but you could buy a 60 amp junction box?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back