Boilers heats water all the time its on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler (an Ideal Classic open vented system) is set up in such a way that if the heating is on, then so is the warer - you cannot ave the water off while the heating is on.

A colleague of mine said his system was like that but all you need do is change the programmer, about £50 and that will do it.

But I remember asking an engineer once and although he didn't actually inspect my system - other than replace my pump - he said it would probably be cheaper to re-fit the CH system as it would involve ripping out pipework, re-installing, changing all motorised valves and the programmer

Was he trying to rip me off or is my colleague telling me half-truths?

Sponsored Links
The Ideal Classic system here is set up like yours.

It will always heat water when the CH is on.

It uses a three port valve and would only need a new programmer to enable CH without HW.

However, it would be a very odd person who would ever want to have no HW when he was using the CH.

A system using gravity HW will need considerable modification and some while ago I did that for about £240. Probably now I would charge a bit more.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back