wire to nowhere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started re-wiring the lights upstairs, as I am putting flooring down in the loft. But when I came to the stair lighting I am at a loss as to how this light worked in the first place. It is a two-way switch, there are 4 cables from the light fitting, one is the power supply from downstairs, two run power to other rooms upstairs and ONE goes to one of the swtiches. This last cable is made up of a live wire and an earth wire. There is then another cable from the 1st switch to the 2nd switch, but as far as I can see there is another cable which then runs from the 2nd switch to NOWHERE. It should go back the light fitting, to complete the loop, but does not. HOW has my stair lighting worked all these years?

Sponsored Links
losingmytools said:
as far as I can see there is another cable which then runs from the 2nd switch to NOWHERE.
So if you disconnect this cable at the 2nd switch, everything still works as before, does it?

Take a look in the for refrence section at the top of the page.
The 2 switches are connected by 3 core & earth (usually) only one of the lights will have cable upto the light fitting (from L1 & L2), this is the most common method of converting oneway switching into twoway switching.

Or live feed into bottom switch COM, T/E linking L1 & L2 to top switch, switched live out of top switch COM.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back