Phantom Whistle

hs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, in my kitchen, a short high-pitched whistle noise has been going off every 30 seconds. I believe it is coming from the plumbing. It happens whether the taps are on or off. I have checked all the plumbing under the sink for leakage and can find nothing. I have also checked the radiators. Please help!

Sponsored Links
What's it whistling ? I don't like Mondays? If so, it's one of the Boomtown Rats !! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

haven't got battery operated smoke detector have you?...........are you sure?

Sponsored Links
Whistling is usually caused by restricted flow. Check that any service valves on the main route are open. This applies particulary to any water softener valves (if you have one).

I have come across whistling caused by a PRV (Pressure reducing valve), the kind that is non adjustable. I ended up replacing it with an adjustable one.

Also check if the noise lessens if you open the stop cock full or close it half way. Then it's a matter of isolating each run in order to narrow down the area that is causing it.

Can you stop the whistling by turning on any particular tap? Start with the one nearest to the stop cock and work your way through the house. This will give you some more pointers.

Is it cold water only or hot? does this happen when someone flushes the toilet or runs a bath?

It's not straight forward and requires some dedication to solve.

best of luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back