DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Can i tile straight on to plasterboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotwire

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote

I am having to put some new plasterboard in my bathrooom as ive had to cut an area about 5ft long by20 inches high due to removing tiles and finding damp. My question is can i tile directly on to the plasterboard or does it have to be skimmed first. Also some plaster has come of the wall and i am hoping to just be able to patch it up. There,s no way i could skim the whole wall im not good enough, am ok at a bit of patching but thats it. I enclose some pics (hopefully) so you can see whats happened. Any advice gratefully recieved.

[/url]

Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote

Im no tiler..but I can spot a dodgy surface when I see one....looks to me like the lose should be chipped off and a re skim job is in order.
 Alert Moderators
Hotwire

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, not the words i wanted to hear but if its got to be skimmed i will just have to grin and bear it. I must admit the wall looks a right mess but the bits of plaster that are still there are stuck quite soundly to the wall. Hence why i thought i might get away with patching.
 Alert Moderators
Hotwire

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote

What preparation is required to tile directly onto plasterboard, does the board need to be sealed. What about the joints, is bal-APD still needed/useful for this task. I may have to do above to save going through skimming wall again after cock-up by firm doing work.
 Alert Moderators
Johnboy54

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote

In my opinion, I don't see a problem with tiling to the plasterboard, provided it's not got great big cavities behind it. Make sure it's well sealed with PVA first.
Looking at the photos, couldn't you remove the plasterboard and fill with plaster. A nice, straight piece of wood to rest on the existing plaster at each side could be sawn across it to give a perfect match. One that's good enough to tile over at least. Seal with PVA.
I'm no plasterer either, so another alternative would be to use plywood screwed to the wall, instead of plasterboard. Again, seal with PVA.
Handy stuff that PVA. Wonder what it is?
icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Hotwire

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote

Johnboy54, i should have said this post is a bit old the wall your looking at in the pics has been replaced by a new build. The plasterboard that has been used is only 9.5mm instead of 12.5mm and it looks like its not up to the job of holding heavy weight tiles. So it could well be having another 12.5mm board put up, and i just want to put tiles onto it and not have it skimmed. Ive made another post about plasterboard thickness in this forum it will give you more info on whats happened. Some info about PVA here

http://www.thistothat.com/glue/pva.shtml
 Alert Moderators
JayS

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote

Alert Moderators
Hotwire

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote

Cheers for that link JayS, so it looks like its best to use bal-primer on the bare plasterboard is that correct.
 Alert Moderators
JayS

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Hotwire wrote:
Cheers for that link JayS, so it looks like its best to use bal-primer on the bare plasterboard is that correct.
Pretty much, but if it's for the shower you have to tank the wall otherwise the grout WILL leak! An the wall will get damp again... icon_sad.gif
 Alert Moderators
Hotwire

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote

Ok so i know the direction to go if its gonna be new boards put up. I have a question about the waterproof thing, ive got tubs of dunlop waterproof adhesive ( so the balloon on the tubs informs me) if i put this on in a solid bed will this stop water thats leaked through the grout getting through to the plasterboard. Also a question about the bal-APD do i need to dilute it and if so at what ratio.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: