Knotty problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved house a short while ago. The previous owners seem to have recently painted all the internal woodwork (door frames and skirting boards). I guess they did this in the last 12 months or so. However I have recently noticed that they didn't seal the knots in the wood! Now I am getting brown rings turning up on all the white gloss woodwork.

Somebody please tell me there is an easy way of correcting this as I would prefer not to have to strip all the woodwork back to bare wood! Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
full job to do it right

you may get away with scrapeing rubbing and fethering in at each knot
so you need to clean to bare wood on and around the knot knot it prime ect

good luck

If its only the stain coming through and not the resin itself then you can give them a coat or two of white knoting....or use Zinser 123

Im not sure but Dulux stain block may also work.

But as Al says.....to do it properly you should really take em back to bare and re do them....problem is you could do that this time...but more may come through that havnt surfaced yet....your wood work its going to end up a right mess.

I blame lazy decorators.....its quite common for them not to bother.

Thanks for your replies big-all and Zampa. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet at some point and re-do the whole lot :cry: . It's gonna be a big job taking all the woodwork in the house back to bare wood. Any tips on how to strip the paint off, would you recommend a heat gun, or chemical stripper, or just plain old "sand"paper?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
can you not?

rough up the existing paintwork and apply one of those aluminium (sp?) undercoat primers and then repaint??

(don't know if this would work but i'm quite interested in this myself as we have some doors that were stained..... and then painted over at some point - the stain is now leaching through the paint (including the paint i added!!!! )

I wouldnt entertain the Aluminium wood primer thing...true it does cover knot marks and stains....but its dark grey and will take a good few coats to get it back to white....plus....it wont stop the resin pushing the existing coatings off underneath it anyway.

ANDREWJO.....I must be honest...if I was faced with having to strip the whole lot down completely then I would go for a cover up job....treat the white with white knotting (sometimes called styptic knotting) or Zinner BIN and hope for the best.

You can use ordinary knotting but being brown it will take more coats to cover it

The cost involved and the time stripping all the wood down just wouldnt be worth it...

And...as an option could you replace the wood instead?.....think about it...the cost of the paint stripper...or use of the heat gun...plus about 2 hours of time stripping an architrave....against a couple of quid for a few metres of new stuff?

I tell all my customers this...especially if they want me to strip it.....its cheaper to replace in 99% of cases.

You may find the decorators have used acrylic underneath....or given that they havnt bothered with the knotting they may have emulsioned the frames as a primer too....

I have never stripped any of my own woodwork of.....it really isnt worth it..

Id go for patching up the knots....if you get the odd troublesome one seep resin then treat it as it comes along.

You wouldnt strip all the paint off a car body would you...just because you have a bit of rust around the wheel arch?

Good luckk.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back