INDESIT WG1034T BRUSHES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My washing machine fills and drains properly and sounds like it is working fine except the drum does not spin.
It is not the belt as that hasn't been thrown off and is only about 6 months old. Does that sound like the brushes have gone and if so how do I fit new ones, I know that they are underneath.

Sponsored Links
dont touch it. if it is less than a year olsd it should be covered by makers waranty call them

just out of interest can you spin it when empty by hand?

I think it must be the belt that's 6 months old, not the whole machine. To check the brushes it is best to remove the motor. The new brushes come with an outer plastic holder and an inner brass sleeve. They are held on the motor with self tapping screws. Unscrew them and check how much carbon protrudes from the brass sleeve. When fully worn there will be about 1/4" (6mm) carbon protruding.

It's definately not the belt because I have had belt trouble before.

Yes I can spin it by hand. The belt is attached to a big cog at the back of the drum and a little cog at the bottom. When I set the machine going without the back on, the little cog doesn't move.

Dad said it might be the motor or the brushes. Because I can hear all the normal sounds when it's on I'm thinking that it's probably not the motor.

This washing machine was bought reconditioned three years ago so it is no longer under warranty.

Sponsored Links
Oh yes....can I dammage my machine because I'll have to tip it upside down to get to the brushes. I looked on the internet for a picture of the insides but I can find one.

you don't need to turn it upside down. just access it through the back ,or at least lean it slightly forward. one thing i would suggest that you do first though is to put it on a spin cycle without the belt on. if the motor then turns without the belt on it's a chance that the armature has failed in the motor (quite common). OR
if you're feeling daring you will see a small circuit board located at the lower left side. it's in a white holder held on by two screws. take it out and make sure you know where the two multiplugs go. remove the p.c.b. from the holder. inspect the combs to look for burnt-out tracks and more likely a dry joint on the motor relay ( small black square thing) any dodgy connections that you find can 9 times out of ten be repaired by a blob of solder.

LittleGingerWizard said:
It's definately not the belt because I have had belt trouble before.

Yes I can spin it by hand. The belt is attached to a big cog at the back of the drum and a little cog at the bottom. When I set the machine going without the back on, the little cog doesn't move.

Dad said it might be the motor or the brushes. Because I can hear all the normal sounds when it's on I'm thinking that it's probably not the motor.

I suspect you only read the first 7 words of my earlier post. ;)

Thanks everyone, that's been a great help.

I've ordered my brushes just in case and I'm ready to fit them by using the rest of your message Fido :rolleyes: :D

If I'M feeling daring! My Dad pokes at the washing Machine wires and stuff while it's going! He's always getting shocked and it makes me laugh cos he gets bigs eyes :eek: . I'll get my Dad to remove the circuit thingy saves me hurting myself :evil:

I did think I might remove the belt today just incase it was stuck or something.

Anyway thanks! If it's not anything you've said luckily a friends Mum needs to get rid of her 1 year old machine out of storage so I can have it for £40 BARGAIN!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back