Cant get tank to sit on toilet - after replacing syphon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My syphon in the toilet broke. So I took it out and bought a new one.

Hooked flush mechanism on. Then put washer in the pipe. Let pipe down through the hole. Put another washer in.

THen put in the metal place which the wing nut/screws go into when attacthing tank to toilet.

THen the hexanganal nut. Screwed that in.

Then put on the foam donut washer around the hexaganal but.

All looking good. Carry out a bench test - NO leaks.

So i offer it into place. Get the screws in and start tigthening the wing nuts. All nicely tighened.

I have a look and theres about a 10mm gap between the toilet and the tank!

It wasnt like that before i took it off! Whats going on. It seems as if the foam washer is preventing it from sitting properly. But i cant seem to figure it out.

Please help!

Sponsored Links
Crummy design, probably. Bogs aren't what they used to be. Or donuts.

Only thing I can think you could have done wrong is to put the metal plate on the wrong way up. The slotty holes for the dangly bolts should be as close as poss to the bottom of the cistern.

Anyone tried Krispy Creme donuts? Disgusting.
vomit-smiley-011.gif

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

Yeh i think the donut is thicker than the old one. But i though this was cos the old one had got compressed over the years.

ill give it another go.

main reason for replacing it was the leak. But when i took it out, i noticed the plastic thing had also broken hence the suction wasnt present, hence the weak flush.

Is there a need to have the donut? It doesnt actually do much does it? Apart from act as a cushion.

The donut just slips on right? Or does it somehow have to be tigthen into somethiing?

Cheers.

You didn't say you had a new donut - why not use the old one?
The donut is vital to stop the water coming out between the cistern and pan. It does just slip on. You can buy very easily compressible ones, and very hard ones. Former is more useful.

GRRR, ive sweated my arse off in this heat and it still wont go on properly.

I tried with the old one and its not having it. I replaced it cos its slightly deformed.

But the new one is too thick.

Surely cant be that hard to get it on!

CHRIS, how will the water come out? Theres two washers. Ine inside the (cistern i think you call it) tank and the other on the outside.

THen the one on the outside has the metal thing over it and thats tightened with the hexanganal nut.

Surely thats water tight enough? On the bench test nothing leaked through without the donut.

But i still cant get it on!

OKK!!! finally result!

Went to another plumbing shop. He gave me a slightly larger but much thinner donut that the one I had before.

Slid the toilet on and nice snug fit. SORTED!

But still wondering what the donut actually does! You said it prevents leakage, but i did bench test without it and it didnt leak,

Surely if it just slides on and rest between the two it cant be doing much?

I know im wrong and there sure to be a good reason, just cant seem to figure it out.

...told him that kev but he doesn't believe us.

There's nothing else sealing the hole in the pan. It's the smallness of the distribution holes in the pan which hold the water up in the cistern, which otherwise has a huge hole to go through. Believe me it pours out if the wing nuts aren't done up tight!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back