render query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking at the threads on this render section and am a little confused. I have a detached house (not huge, but a reasonable surface area) and the render has been done in multiple stages over the years and some of it is just falling off (badly blown).
A quote we have had was for £8000 to replace the render and were told this would require a scaffold which would take most of the price. Looking at the \\\'prices\\\' people were suggesting that makes me think the builder is expecting us to buy the scaffolding for him ;)

I suspect we should go for several quotes, although the builder has been recommended to us by friends.

Sponsored Links
Never mind recommendation from friends, they aren't necessarily experienced, how many builders have they had in and for what?

I have a bigoted view that a lot of these render problems exist because the render which has failed is sand/cement. There's a lot of it about. I like lime, it doesn't have the problems of sand cement but like any render it needs to be keyed to the wall. The lime used to be put on solid walls by throwing it at the wall and trowelling it out. The speed it hit the wall possibly had an effect on its ability to stick there. When I have seen cement render being put on it's just pushed onto the wall, this may be the whole, or part of the problem.

jingles, detail specifically what you are confused about.
Is the whole house rendered?
What precisely is your question(s)?

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
Never mind recommendation from friends, they aren't necessarily experienced, how many builders have they had in and for what?

I have a bigoted view that a lot of these render problems exist because the render which has failed is sand/cement. There's a lot of it about. I like lime, it doesn't have the problems of sand cement but like any render it needs to be keyed to the wall. The lime used to be put on solid walls by throwing it at the wall and trowelling it out. The speed it hit the wall possibly had an effect on its ability to stick there. When I have seen cement render being put on it's just pushed onto the wall, this may be the whole, or part of the problem.

Oilman i wish it was that simple, there are reasons why cement render is used over lime and vise versa, and also a number of reasons render comes off and cracks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back