cooker circuit: - opinion reqd.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Leccy needs to be done before new baby arrives... I can't get an electrician to arrive in time so I've decided to do it myself and get it certificated afters. I'd like to run through what I intend to do and get a 2nd opinion before I start.

I live on the lower ground floor of a divided-up terraced house, i.e. no access to ceiling void. I'm moving my kitchen to a different room. I need a new radial circuit to fit new built-in electric oven (max 2.5kW), new electric hob (max 6.5kW) and microwave (max 1.45kW). TOTAL = 10.45kW

At Consumer Unit, existing cooker control circuit runs off 30A re-wirable fuse. I'd like to...

1) disconnect this, chuck the fuse away and try and label the two ends of the old cable appropriately.

2)replace with 32A MCB, run new 6mm T&E cable to 45A cooker control unit (control switch + [13A]socket). This will be a run of 18.5m via trunking mounted just above the skirting. TOTAL RUN = 20m

3) I'll plug in the microwave at the CCU socket and connect the hob.

4) Run 6mm cable to 13A fused spur, then 2.5mm cable to oven.

5) The CCU will be in prominent position within 2m of the built-in oven & hob.

Will this be certificated as safe or should I be certified insane?

Sponsored Links
Your step (4) I assume means that you plan to take a 6mm² cable from the CCU to the FCU for the oven?

i.e. two outgoing 6mm² cables, one to the outlet plate for the hob and one to the oven FCU?

Might be a bit of a squeeze...

Also - when you say that you plan to get the work certified - what sort of certificate are you hoping for, and from whom, and why?

Is it for peace of mind, or are you hoping to comply with the Building Regulations?

... two outgoing 6mm² cables, one to the outlet plate for the hob and one to the oven FCU?
Might be a bit of a squeeze...

Yes indeed and I was kinda hoping there'd be a 3rd way, i.e. still powering the oven off the cooker circuit somehow.

...peace of mind or building regs?
As I understand it, Part P requires such work to be checked by someone qulaified to certify domestic electrical installation work.

However, your comment has reminded me that first I have to notify LA building control office... so peace of mind & building regs. Probably should have contacted my LA before wasting your time, sorry.

katspike said:
Yes indeed and I was kinda hoping there'd be a 3rd way, i.e. still powering the oven off the cooker circuit somehow.
Small (2-way) CU with a 6mm² radial for the hob and a 2.5mm² radial to a couple of sockets for the ovens.

As I understand it, Part P requires such work to be checked by someone qulaified to certify domestic electrical installation work.
Part P requires that the work is either done by someone qualified to certify domestic electrical installation work, or notified to LABC and checked by them, or someone they subcontract to.

Sponsored Links
OK, I've conceded. Will put fused spur for oven next to control switch for hob, thereby making it more obvious for people.

Have got hold of LABC and the ball is rolling. Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back