Wall line slightly off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping you can advise me best.

I've never attempted bricklaying before, but circumstances dictated that I had to. I have built several columns in my garden for a large retaining wall (all columns 450mm square and 13 courses high - course gauge stick taken from house)

PLAN VIEW
1125967015_wall2.JPG
1125967252_wall3.JPG

1. column1 6m from column2 in a straight line. At a right angle from column2 is column3 2 metres away.

2. column7 6m from column6 then 6m apart from column5. All these in a straight line. At a right angle from column5 is another column4 2 metres away.

I have joined these using concrete blocks slightly off centre from the blocks as a front skin is going to go on consisting of house bricks.

Columns 4 to 7 are spot on level with each other. My concrete blocks come up to the level I want on course 11 so I can build bricks on the front and they will all be level for what I want to put on top.

However, when I built the concrete blocks between column1 and column2 (the blocks are level), I am 10mm out on column1. So my question is: should I build my bricks level and so be out 10mm on column1, or build them course to course (and so slightly not level) on columns 1 to 2 and trim off the concrete blocks?

Phew. I hope that made sense. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
All depends if you have lost the 10mm over one or two courses then it will probably show but if you have lost it fairly evenly over all the courses then build it course to course.
just one point of critisism you would have been better off tying the two skins together for structural strength.
Can see you have lost the coursing or level somwhere as your block courses do not match brick courses.
Work looks fairly tidy though and I am sure you can sort it.
If worst comes to worst though it only means taking down one pier.
good luck

Probably a bit late in the day now but, If you had laid your blocks to a line. You wouldn't have had the problem of the blocks being higher than the pier. (the difference would have naturally been taken up).

Did you include wall ties in the joints, as you built the blockwork up? If not, I'd be inclined to get some frame ties, to fit now. Those two leaves really should be tied together. The brickwork also needs to be bonded to the piers.

I wouldn't worry about the 10mm. Over 6m for a freestanding garden wall it doesn't really matter does it. Just run your brickwork in to a line. If one end of the line is level with the guage of pier 1, while the other end is level with the guage of pier 2. You will end up with a brick wall that, while not being level, will have a resonable appearance.

What you do about the blockwork depends on how you are going to cap the wall. For the sake of a bit of cutting you may as well just make it level with the brickwork.

Thank you for your replies. Yes, they have been lost slightly over courses.

The blocks, as will the bricks, have been bonded to the piers using similar to these http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=41311&ts=28666 and I inserted wall ties as I went up similar to these http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=99843&ts=28666.

As I thought I wasn't getting any replies, (I now know it is because I didn't check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box :oops: ), I looked at brickwork around where I live, and I noticed that it doesn't have to exactly level, so I ran a piece of string from course 11 to course 11 on my two piers, drew with a marker pen where it lay, and trimmed it off with an angle grinder. I feel it is better to have a slightly off level wall over that distance rather than it not matching up courses - that is the sort of thing that would stare at me as I sat having a barbeque!

Thanks again for your replies - I really appreciated them.

Sponsored Links
As a tip for next time. Those cheep wall ties that you included in the blockwork, could have also been included in the brick piers. It would have been easier and cheeper than the use of wall starters.

Anyhow, best of luck.

Really? Goodness me. Those wall starter kits aren't cheap and I have loads of ties left over. Oh well, I can't return the kits now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back