Fence (Basics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would like to ask for some adivce if i may,

30 metre fence,,,,, 5ft high close board fencing. this is what i will be building, would like to check before is start if the advice i have been given will work,

have been told to cement posts into the ground 2ft deep per post. the posts are to be 6 ft apart. is this sounding good? also like to know whats the best size posts to use.

i have laid 2 lines high and low and am pretty happy to proceed just want to make sure i am not doing something stupid before its too late.

many thx

Sponsored Links
I know I'm probably stating the obvious but the posts need to be 6 ft apart inner-face-to-inner-face and not at 6 ft centres.

Sponsored Links
to get the spacing, put the second post in while holding the panel in place. Let it be just loose enough to slide the panel, so you can change it when it rots or breaks.

if you want you can make timber spacers for the rest, or just put in the gravel boards (preferably concrete) which will avoid wind moving the panels before the posts have set.

If you are gonna use c/bd panels then posts need to have the panel width as a clear space between them .
Posts of 100 x 100

If you are putting up c/bd fencing from components .ie post, rails. gravel boards, f/e boards & capping etc then the british standard allows for posts at 3.0 meter centres ......but myself i like to use 2.4 (8') centres.
this also has the benefit that you can save costs on the number of posts and concrete you need to buy and also its less holes to dig.

Hmm! I can tell you that British Standard (?) or not, round where I live a 5' or 6' closeboarded fence with near 10' between posts wouldn't make it past the first decent gale even if you put stub supports at half-span. 2m is plenty.

You call that flaming? :LOL:
:LOL:

We get wind here too.

He doesnt live where you are !
Read what was written before flaming
You don't live there either.
Was something written which said the OP gets no winds or gales?
If you can't be civil don't log in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back