citroen berlingo 2002 fuel issue???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my van has started playing up if its parked ever so slightly on a slope engine facing down it has problems starting??
it always starts buts cuts out first time then takes a while to fire up??
also it idles rather erratic sometimes as well as when im driving it sometimes feels like it has found muchmore power and pulls better then itreturns back to its slow self???
any help please??

Sponsored Links
Sounds like air ingress to the fuel system, if this is the DW8 engine similar to the XUD. Try pumping the primer bulb until hard before you start, if its OK then you have an air leak.

Peter

This is fairly typical of air ingress into the fuel system Chris - and air usually gets in around the fuel filter / priming pump areas.
If there is a priming bulb or plunger near the fuel filter, try pumping it up before you try to start up when you expect trouble - my guess is that starting will improve.
John :)

Sponsored Links
This is fairly typical of air ingress into the fuel system Chris - and air usually gets in around the fuel filter / priming pump areas.
If there is a priming bulb or plunger near the fuel filter, try pumping it up before you try to start up when you expect trouble - my guess is that starting will improve.

i have no idea what a priming bulb is?will this cure it for good or is it only tempory if theres a leak??
also is this the reason for the throttle and idle issue??
the van runs like its very underpowered then for no reason its almost like a turbo has kicked in and its got a lot more power but this only lasts a few seconds before it back to normal??

When air ingresses into diesel fuel, it acts like a fizzy pop and the engine can rev of its own accord, before cutting out if it decides not to idle.
If the van was mine, I'd be fitting a new fuel filter (usually a black plastic canister on the front of the engine block - but there are variations) and then checking the pipe leading to the filter - in which will reside a priming bulb - a rubber squashy thing thats used to force diesel fuel from the tank.
I've had a few of these things become porous...they don't let fuel out, but being under negative pressure they can let air in :eek: these things also have a non return valve in them, so fuel can't drain back to the tank.
I don't know if your Berlingo has an XUD motor or DW8 motor - they are both similar but the filters may be different ( a pic could help)!
If its an HDi with turbo engine, the same applies but it doesn't sound like it.

When air ingresses into diesel fuel, it acts like a fizzy pop and the engine can rev of its own accord, before cutting out if it decides not to idle.
If the van was mine, I'd be fitting a new fuel filter (usually a black plastic canister on the front of the engine block - but there are variations) and then checking the pipe leading to the filter - in which will reside a priming bulb - a rubber squashy thing thats used to force diesel fuel from the tank.
I've had a few of these things become porous...they don't let fuel out, but being under negative pressure they can let air in :eek: these things also have a non return valve in them, so fuel can't drain back to the tank.
I don't know if your Berlingo has an XUD motor or DW8 motor - they are both similar but the filters may be different ( a pic could help)!
If its an HDi with turbo engine, the same applies but it doesn't sound like it.

thanks very much for the advice, you have been very helpful.
ill get my local garage to check and change them when i put it in for a service next week..

Hi John

We reinstated a 300 year old well last year, put in a pump, about 300 meteres of pipe and a reservoir, it worked fine from March to October, in November it went completely dry, we are now back on the farm supply which fortunately is better than ours - we are still waiting for some rain, so yes, certainly send us some of your water :D

Peter

Another area to try is the fuel line to fuel tank connector. I had a VW jetta where the rubber connector had perished slightly and air could be drawn into the fuel line by the fuel pump, the exhaust fumes were white, great clouds of them when it did decide to start.

Sponsored Links
Back