Ladders for small loft access hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a new build house and when flooring the loft I noticed the loft hatch is a bit on the small side. Probably cause house builders dont want you to go up there in the first place!

Anyway, I don't want to cut a larger space and was looking at possibly an alternative. I came across telescopic ladders, they look the ideal solution but at £150 or so, quite expensive, but then getting a joiner in to make my loft hatch larger would prob cost more expensive. Has anyone had experience with telescopic loft ladders or where else these could be sourced from? I have looked around but only seem to see the same manufacturer (patented?). I have not measured the hatch dimensions yet but will do when I go back up there tonight balancing from a step ladder.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have 2 pairs, 1st pair are my own and are the telestep ones, had them for 10years and still going strong, think i paid about £300 way back then, the only part thats failed are the rubber feet/bungs that fit into the bottom, the sharp ali tubes soon pushed its way right through, other than that they're ok just keep them lubed with silicone spray but not wd40, that just gums them up.

The company i work for supplied the second set, these are well cheaper than mine, i would imagine less than £100, a bit fiddly to close with each rung having 2 sliding locks and you need to close one rung at a time where as the telestep ones just have 2 ring pulls under the bottom rung, pull both and the ladder just slides down without any help, again with this pair the feet soon fell apart although these were plastic this time.

All in all they're both a good set of steps, handy for a quick looksee around the 3m height and ideal for a loft ladder, just watch the feet for slipping if on a laminate floor if the feet get worn

http://www.google.co.uk/#q=telescop....,cf.osb&fp=5ced3dba61307b36&biw=1024&bih=506

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back