Fire Door Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help? I would like to fit an internal door from my kitchen to my garage because at the moment, I have to go outside to get into the garage. I know that I have to have a fire door, but I don't know about the rules and regulations regarding this matter. Obviously I don't want to get myself into any trouble with the authorities or invalidate my house insurance. What do I need to do/know?

Sponsored Links
yes you will need a fire door (half hour fire resistance with self closer and intuemescent strip)

you will also need to make a building regs application to form the structural opening into the garage.

you'll need a minimum 100mm non-combustible step down into the garage

you should check if the garage floor is lower than your kitchen floor to achieve this step - they may be at the same level if ther was no door in the first place

Brilliant! Many thanks for your help. I do have one quick question though. I know I'm a bit thick but what is an intuemescent strip? :confused:

The intumescent strip is a pvc sleeve fireseal fitted into a rebate of the door and frame. The intumescent strip melted under certain heat by the fire to prevent the fire & smoke spreading into the next room by sealing it air tight.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy such a door, online or otherwise?

I need a "1/2 FRS C Door with soft closing with a smoke sea and intumescent strips" according to by local building guy from the council.

Thanks in advance

can anyone tell me when the regulation about that fire door came into force? or how I can find out?

garethg said:
can anyone tell me when the regulation about that fire door came into force? or how I can find out?

At least 40 years ago, except for the intumescent strip, which was then not around.

(this was in London, which might have had different regulations at the time). Were you hoping to argue that your cardboard flush door was compliant when fitted?

shandy said:

I need a "1/2 FRS C Door with soft closing with a smoke sea and intumescent strips" according to by local building guy from the council.

Thanks in advance

Let your fingers do the walking...(Yellow pages!)

Look in the local sheds (B&Q, Wickes etc...), timber suppliers, building material suppliers, google it, etc etc

Deluks, look more carefully:

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:39 pm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back