vaillant 242 leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone shed any light on a leak I have on my boiler, it is the large black 3 cylinder component at the left of the boiler, I have a dribble coming out of the top front hole, two questions:- what is it ? Why?
It looks as if it has been leaking for ages, with the only noticeable problems being, water occasionally scolding hot, occasionally takes forever to heat up, it has done this since it was installed around 12 years ago.
Many thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Standard problem on that boiler. Forget trying to stop the leak. Standard solution is to replace the black thing, which is the secondary (tap water) heat exchanger, with a stainless steel one which will serve you much better. It comes with relevant plumbing because it's a completely different shape.
Get quotes on the phone - they will vary on that component!

The first one I fitted took almost three hours and I had quoted a low fixed price for the job expecting it to only take an hour or so.

I am pleased to say its the last I have been asked to do although we keep the conversion kit in stock ready for the day!

Kit is about £70 and with my past experience I would quote about £100 to fit it now.

Tony Glazier

Thanks for help,
Is this the replacement part you refer to?
Just for a matter of interest as an engineer (cnc turned parts) what is inside this heat exchanger?
The hole from which my leak (now a steady drip) is coming from, was obviously there for a reason, or was it just a standard part adapted to fit, any clues?
In the short term is there any reason why I cannot plug this hole with a sealant.

Andy
4a3134f61025099d61a2277a7997d926.jpg

Sponsored Links
Also you will find a better heat output with the stainless sardine tin replacement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back