Noisy boiler - Ravenheat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Ravenheat combi boiler which has just decided to pack in. When it's turned on it starts up fine, then after about 10-15secs it starts making a loud continuous noise before the flame dissapears in the window. Anyone any ideas for a cheap resolve - I'm freezing !

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I'm a boiler virgin so I dont even know what the model is, the only number i can find is UPS 25-60 130. I think is on the pump so i presume thats not the model.

You were right I've never had it serviced, been at this house for 1 yr but not sure if previous occupants had it done or not.

Transco have just started doing some work in the area, could it be anything to with them ? Air bubble ?? Just guessing but dont really have a clue what I'm talking about so thats why i poppe don here for advice from the experts.

Thanks again.

What sort of price should I be looking at for someone to come out to it.

Not enough info and too many possibilities with this one. If I had to stab a few guesses at it I would probably get done for boiler-slaughter or something.
Cant comment on pricing either as that varies from one area/corgi guy to the next.
What I can tell you is that the data labels are inside the casing at the back on the right hand side. Difficult to see at the best of times!

A few questions!

Is the air vent cap left loose as it should be?
Has anyone done any work on your system lately or knocked any of the valves underneath?
Where does the noise seem to be coming from top or bottom of the boiler ?
Can you describe the noise any better?

Sponsored Links
Air vent seems ok, nothing been done to the boiler whatsoever, it just went wrong !

The noise appears to come from the back in the middle. It sounds like a screaching noise. It lights for a few moments, then the noise starts and it goes out. Its then that I have to turn it off because the noise just continues without it doing anything.

Cheers.

Please remember I cant say for certain without seeing it but my biggest bet so far is that the pump has siezed up and requires renewal.
Chuck a towel below it to catch the water. Completely undo the silver screw on the face of the pump [water will dribble out] then stick a screwdriver in to see if you can turn the impeller. This may get it going for a short while but a pump renewal is imminent.

well, i'm still freezing !!! Had a plumber round and for those interested it was the fan. The fan was working fine although the motor that runs it was not working properly. He tried to fix it but to no avail. Luckily for me (not) the fan is gonna cost £170 ish plus vat !!! How bad is that. I know I'm not being conned as its a friend whos a Corgi thingy thats doing it.

Thanks anyway to those who added to my opener trying to help. I'm off to put another coat on whilst I wait for the part to turn up.

Laters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back