Fitting a TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a TRV to one of my radiators. I\\\'ve never done anything like this before. Is it an easy job or not one for an amateur?
Some websites seem to mention referring to the boiler manufacturers guide? Do I need to do this for one radiator? Any guidance would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
I think the reference to manufacturers guide is in case you intended to fit all radiators with trv. It should be simple enough.
A couple of points though, consider the direction of flow.
Also is this valve as well as a room stat. The way I see it is that for the valve to function fully you need the pump to be running continously. The valves ok if you want a temperure lower than that set by the room stat but if you want it higher it won't achieve it as room stat will switch the pump off.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Are you looking to change the whole valve or just the "white bit" on the inlet of the radiator?

I need to change the whole valve and have yet to find a definitive way of doing it.

Not sure whether to use freezing kit or to drain the system?

Please help.

PS I have a gravity fed system.

Sponsored Links
MANDATE said:
The way I see it is that for the valve to function fully you need the pump to be running continously.

not many other people see it like that.

The valves ok if you want a temperure lower than that set by the room stat but if you want it higher it won't achieve it as room stat will switch the pump off.

if you have a TRV and room stat in the same room then it won't work properly. if you have trv's in different rooms there is no reason why those rooms can't be warmer than the room with the room stat.

The valves ok if you want a temperure lower than that set by the room stat but if you want it higher it won't achieve it as room stat will switch the pump off

Not a good idea to have a trv and room stat in same room, :confused: usually you would have the room stat in a room with no trv's.

Our room stat is in the hall, this is the coldest place in the house and with the sizing of rads takes a little longer to heat up. All the other rooms have trv's. The loungs gets to a nice 21-22.5 The bedrooms are at 18, whilst the halls is at 19 ;)

Hi slippy!
Your response kind of implies I could be wrong, so how do you see it?
To me when the TRV is opened either manually or automatically the radiator cannot have hot water flowing through it without a running pump.
And to have a running pump the room with the room stat needs to be calling for heat. If the room stat is satisfied there will be a delay until heat is called for and during that delay period the radiator with the TRV does not respond in the same manner.
If the room stat is quickly satisfied because a low temperture is called for, the pump could spend more time off than on. The solution is to ensure the room stat is not quickly satisfied by tweaking the lockshield or upping the temperture. This however is still not quite the same as a continously running pump.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back