black smoke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Black smoke with electrical smell poured out of washing machine door when I opened it on completion of a wash. Hoover AL 130. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound like your machine is washing very effectively. Try washing it on a boil wash. If the smoke still comes out black, you may have to bleach it by hand. :LOL:

Thanks for reply. The washing was clean. Am wondering where smoke came from though. Smelt bad - like electical burning smell. Have unplugged for time being until I can figure out what to do!

It could have been the heater burning out or it may be the edge of the drum rubbing against the rubber door seal, though that would create a rubber type smell. In either case you need to check for play in the drum. Hold the inner edge of the door seal with one hand and try to move the stainless steel drum up and down with the other. If there is play you will have either drum bearing or drum spider failure.

Sponsored Links
I think the latter was the problem. Seems to be ok now. Thanks for the suggestion!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back