Seperate radial cct or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Got an electrician in to add some spurs to my existing ring main in kitchen as we are revamping it.
As we are moving the fridge freezer also the electricial has suggested running it off its own dedicated radial cct and not off the ring main.
It seems a little overkill or is that normal practice??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not usually normal practice because it's more work than just another ring socket, but worth considering - if the fridge/freezer radial is kept separate from the RCD protection on the other circuits then an unexpected RCD trip won't shut off the FF, which can be quite unfortunate if it happens when you're away for a few days. When I redo my kitchen I'll be putting in a FF radial for just that reason.

PJ

Sponsored Links
Got the fridge freezer ran off its own circuit here and that at least should something trip the ring circuit i wont wake up to a freezer worth of mush, but since it about a foot away from the CU it wasn't exactly much effort other than drilling a hole to run the cable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back