Locks for our wonky sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm doing a bit of a refurb on our sash windows, and plan to put new locks in.

On the sash windows we've done so far, we have used fitch fasteners - we like these as they help reduce the rattles. But then with the other windows we've pulled them out, replaced broken panes and put in draughtproofing, new sash cords and pulleys ... Unfortunately these two windows are just going to have to put up with a quicker patch up, reputty and paint (and fingers crossed we can get back to doing them "properly" in a year or two).

Anyway, with these two windows we cannot put in fitch fasteners as the meeting rails don't, well, meet. The top of the meeting rail on the top sash is about .5 to 1cm lower than the top of the meeting rail on the bottom sash (hope that makes sense!).

So, any suggestions of locks that would accommodate these wonky sashes? We want something that can sit on the meeting rails as we like the look of the shiny brass locks from the outside of the house.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
can you not cut them in a tad,ive done this from time to time.
check for any crud at the bottom/top of the rails.

Crud removal has helped a bit. They aren't weighted properly (the other's we've done I've had to add a bit to the top sashes) and one of them is missing a cord, so that makes it worse too. I could cut them in a little (and I could lift up the other one a little bit too with washers or something) but I was trying to avoid hacking into them as well as looking for an easy option :)

I just don't feel I'll get them straight enough with fitch fasteners and was hoping for something sort of "floppier"!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back