How strong is a concrete lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have a 140 mm x 65 mm concrete lintel over a 2.4m window. and would like to hang tiles on the wall but not sure if it will take the extra weight. There is only one bar through it but plenty of bearing ie over 150mm each side. There are concrete blocks above but not that many on one side as its tha gable of a bungalow.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
How do you know there is only 1 bar in it?
Seems a bit undersized for a 2400mm window opening, how long as it been there?

Apparently about 2 years.
I cut out the half brick brick next to it to see how wide it was.

So the bar is exposed, has it been treated or is it stainless?
Is it external or internal head and do you have one on each leaf?

Sponsored Links
The bars covered now I put the half batt back.
This lintel is the outside leaf. There is a concrete one over the inner wall. I think its a 100mm one (wide) not sure how thick it is but its been there 40yrs.
The blocks above are layed on their side (slabbed) and are hollow 4 inch.

The simple answer is that only the manuacturer of the beam will know. They usually publish tables showing safe loads for different beam sizes over different spans, but who knows the manufacturer?
Most of these beams are 'pre-stressed', in which a tension is applied to the steel bar before the concrete has set, and only the manufacturer will know the pre-stress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back