Hotpoint drum not turning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hotpoint Aquarius 1200 WM62, 6 years old. The drum stopped turning and there was a feint electrical burning smell. Brushes fine as replaced 2 months ago. Any ideas and is it DIY? p.s. I have just tried turning the drum and it does not seem that the belt has come off. Have now investigated further and the problem was that the new brushes fitted 2 months ago. The corner of one had broken off and it was causing the contact to arc out. Moral is never assume branded parts are best quality.[/i][/u]

Sponsored Links
for the last 12 months at least the genuine carbons have been rubbish. rumour in the trade is that they're o.k. now but i,m waiting a while yet.

I have now spoken to the supplier of the brushes who say it is the armature in the motor which damaged the brushes and I either need a new motor or a recon. As I had some spare brushes I have put these on and shall see if the same thing happens again. If it does I shall conclude that the armature is indeed damaging the brushes. Any opinions out there?

Run the machine on spin with the lid off. If there are lots of blue sparks at maximum spin speed then you have a duff armature. A few small sparks are OK but if it lights up the room you need to get it sorted before more damage occurs to the electronics etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks fido. After I put the spare brushes on which I had there was no sparking at all. I shall monitor it and post progress if anybody is interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back