Flushing Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my hot water (or central heating) comes on in the morning, every now and then there is a flushing noise comming from the airing cupboard. So this is either water running down the pipes or inside the hot water cylinder. After a while the noise stops completly. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this?

Sponsored Links
My old boiler used to make that noise for about 5 mins after first swith on. It was air in the system. Have you tried bleeding the pump etc.?

Do that, then put some corrosion inhibitor in . Those are quicjk things to try - could be all sorts of other reasons!

A bleed point which can get missed is one near where the boiler pipes goi into the HW tank.

Finally darined my system and re-filled it, adding some inhibitor. Only problem now is that the pump is always on, even when the Hot water and central heating are turned off. Also when the central heating is turned on the radiatiors are not getting hot, as though the 3-way valve is not working. I have tried resetting the timers but no success. Any ideas are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Look here and pick the Y-plan wiring scheme, then check your system wiring. The diverter valve may be on manual, look at the lever on the case. It should be set to auto.

2 things, the diverter valve has stuck on the microswitch which will give power down the orange wire, can be checked by a multimeter. Is the boiler firing up and the pump? without demand from the clock and they are then it suggests a diverter valve problem.

Did you attend the valve prior to draining? Is it set in manually open?

Finally an airlock can be cause no circulation, how long did the f/e tank in the loft take to fill? are you getting air out of rads? if the f/e tank filled quick and no air in rads suspect cold feed blockage. Also try venting from pump, vent pipes, etc

Thank you all for your replies, My system is back up and running and so far the noise of air in the system has greatly reduced. There is still a bit of air in the system, but I think this will clear as I bleed the radiators( & pump) over the next few days.

I am not sure why the pump started to behave itself eventually. I tried several things, just turn hoter water on, just turn heating on, cut power to the controls and reset the timers, turned the boiler off/on, even tapped the 3 way valve & bled the pump while it was running. I suspect 30kw is right in that there was an airlock, as quite a bit of air come out from the pump.

Note, that I did not touch the 3-way valve when draining, not sure if you are supposed to.

When draining I always set my motorized valve to manual,if it shut I always find the air-lock on the other side of the valve when filling up which got nowhere to go,therefore air-lock problem.

I still have noise from my system. I had to replace the pump last week as it tried to start but then gave up - just before Chistmas! After replacing the pump the flushing noise is still their, and have noticed that this is definately comming from the hot water cylinder. Sometimes it almost sounds as though there is a waterfall inside, expecially when the hot water comes on.

Does anyone know if draining the hot water cylinder would help?

"if draining the hot water cylinder would help?"
No reason why it should be connected - if there's no hw tap on then that water isn't moving.

There's just a coil of pipe in the hw cyl which the boiler water goes round. It's possible that you're hearing the flow noise, but air in the water is usually what makes it loud. Where the boiler ipes go intothe hw cyl side, is there some vertical pipe going up (from the upper one) where air could go, to be bled off?

Dop you hear the same noise on a lower pump speed?

It's possible that the system is sucking air down the vent pipe. Get a glass full of water and hold it up under the end of the vent pipe. It shouldn't suck or blow even with the pump on top speed (though there will be a movement when the pump actually switches).

is the pump on the flow or return?, it is probably the configuration of your feed vent and pump that is giving you problems

.... which will give you sucking or blowing through the glass of water....!

sorry chris I wasn't trying to be clever...just typing my reply at the same time as you! ;)

yes I realised that! Just pointing out to our victim that we are agreeing! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back