Location and type of extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install an extractor fan in the bathroom, wall at the 'far' end of a shower bath.

Doing this would mean it would be directly over the bath. Do I have to use a low voltage unit? or can I still use a 240v fan wired into the lighting system?

Sponsored Links
No, it would need to be a Low Voltage type with the appropriate transformer/controller installed.

If it's an house with a high celing where the fan could be fitted higher that 2.25m from ground level it's classed as being in zone 2.

If it's practical to fit at higher level, you are allowed to fit a 230v fan as long as its suitable for the location.

You would need a ipx4 rated 230v fan.

why have you come to the decision to fit at the end of the bath. Have you any natural air intake from a window, if so best place to locate fan is as far from this point as you can. What is wrong with the corner opposite the bath as this is likely to be in the safest zone. Also consider how far you are ducting to the outside point, over 2mts get yourself a decent fan consider a centrifugal type if longer distance.

Sponsored Links
delmel said:
why have you come to the decision to fit at the end of the bath. Have you any natural air intake from a window, if so best place to locate fan is as far from this point as you can. What is wrong with the corner opposite the bath as this is likely to be in the safest zone. Also consider how far you are ducting to the outside point, over 2mts get yourself a decent fan consider a centrifugal type if longer distance.

Interesting question! and thank you for your relpy.

I was working on the assumption that it would be best to get the fan as near as possible to the source the shower, so reducing condensation.
I do have 2 windows in the room but obviously these will be closed during winter months, as people would not think to open them.
are you recommending that I put the fan in a wall at the furthest point, which is possible?

thats exactly where i would be putting it, and where poss when showering leave the window on at least the vent status if not open slightly. You will find this a massive benefit for moving moisture

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back