How do I clean Victorian mosaic floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to clean and seal Victorian mosiac hallway floor tiles of paint drips and years of grime ? I have been told to use "special acid bleach" and then linseed oil. Are there any proprietary products available ? Thanks in advance :confused:

Sponsored Links
http://www.extensive.co.uk

have a look there, I think they have a specific product for it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks moderator, years on a computer and still mess it up.:)

Edit to correct link ;) also see 10a forum rules

There is no easy way round this job. I've done it many times and the main ingredient is patience and some soapy steel wool pads. After the grime is off apply your linseed oil allowing it time to seep in. Apply 3 or 4 liberal coats over a couple of days and finally buff-up with clean dry cloth.
A word of caution :eek: Be VERY careful with those linseed rags. Left crumpled over night they can self ignite :eek: I speak through experience. The best thing to do after using them is to lay them out flat somewhere safe with plenty ventilation. After you have finished with them do the same thing till they dry then discard.

You need a product by HG called Hagesen galv polish remover, this removes any original polish or wax. Then you use HG galv polish to polish the tiles, quite messy, but effective. You have to do this once a year. Your tiles are called encaustic tiles and are still made, a company called original style makes them, they can help you with other enquiries. :)

Sponsored Links
That's actually Golv polish, and technically you don't really need it on encaustic tiles although you can use it if you wish.

It leaves a satin polymer polish across the surafce of the tile.

The HG remover is designed specifically to remove the golv polish and it won't clean as well as the specific Lithofin product.

One further bit of advice, don't mix these products, if you use Lithofin then stick withe their range of products.

If you use HG do the same.

If you mix and match across manufacturers you will get chemical reactions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back