Stone resin vs stonecast shower tray?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Need to make an urgent decision about shower tray which is due to be fitted into downstairs shower room this week :eek: . Originally requested that builder quote for installing stonecast/cast stone shower tray, as I read that this would be more suitable for any 'heavyweights' wanting a shower (even tho it costs £ :eek: :eek: :eek: to install). When I mentioned this to the plumber, however, he raised his eyebrows and said I wanted a stone resin (acrylic?) shower tray. :confused:

Which would you suggest, please? I've read through previous posts, and know I need to take into account access in case of blockages, etc. Which type of tray would be more suitable for access?

Also, re shower doors - what is the minimum thickness of glass you'd recommend, please? 6mm?

Many thanks
:)

Sponsored Links
Only ever noticed 2 types- the cast resin ones which often have "stone" in there somewhere, and the acrylic ones. They both used to break if not supported well, but seem to have improved. Most popular are the stone resin cast ones which go from around £35 , rising exponentially with size.

My personal preference for practicality are the ones which come with legs and side panels. About £120 for an 800 square. Easy to level them and they don't need a reinforced floor.

Hi Chris - thanks for your reply. Are the stone resin trays the ones that need to be bedded onto sand and cement, or don't they need anything as they have legs? (It will be going on top of floorboards). Also are there any makes you'd recommend?
TIA
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back