which shower, 9.5 or 10.5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could someone help please? i've had a 9.5kw triton shower for about 6 years now, worked great. when i fitted it i checked the wiring was suitable and i think it is. i'm sure it comes straight from the fuse box, which has a 30a fuse, and it's roughly about 10 metres of 10mm cable. i also changed the pull cord switch to 1 that is recommended for a 9.5kw shower. the only problem i've had is that i've had to change the pull cord switch about 3 times because the switch gets harder and harder to pull on and off and eventually snaps the cord, so i just leave them turned on. the last time i changed it i noticed the wires had been overheating and had to cut them back. could this be because the power is constantly on? the switch came from homebase. the other thing is could i install a 10.5kw shower with this wiring and the correct pull cord fitted?

Sponsored Links
He says that his cable IS 10mm.

It sounds to me like you are getting grit into the switch, which is why it gets hard to pull. Add to that the grit seems to be holding the contacts open fractionally and you are getting arcing across the contacts. Clean and seal the whole area behind the switch to stop the grit getting in.

joe

Sponsored Links
Its probably burining up because 10mm is nasty stuff to work with and its not tight enough!

Use a 50Amp MK shower pull cord switch.

10mm can take upto 11.1 KW with that cable run. What worries me is not your cable or even the switch, its the fuseboard!

Fuseboard, if you have been using an electric shower please tell me you have an RCD istalled. You need one 80A 30mA, and I would suggest you get an upgrade (A board with an RCD and MCBs).

But the cable should be fine!

It is the 30amp fuse that leads me to think that the cable is not 10mm.

thanks for the help everyone. i think i'll get a pro in to check it out, just to make sure everythings right! by the answers you've given something could be wrong! cheers!

Remember to get a pro who is a registered electrician. Bathroom work is controlled by Building Regs under Part P and is notifiable. Electrician will have to complete an Electrical Installation Certificate AND notify Building Control on your behalf. Get him/her to agree to this before you start.

Generally speaking 10mm2 cable will be sufficient, dependant upon the route and fixing method, again the pro will inspect and test, certifying the installation meets BS7671.

As said, your localised wiring damage was probably down to loose terminals, good quality British made switches (MK, Crabtree) allow the terminals to be properly tightened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back