Connecting to mains drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of connecting my property to mains drains. I have laid 100mm diameter pipes in a trench 24 Metres long. I seem to be getting conflicting info of how to work out the correct downward slope, can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Depends where the main connection will take place. No point working out some kind of fall if you end up a the wrong spot.

joe

Your BCO will be able to advise. He will also want to inspect before it is covered and pressure tested.

joe-90 said:
Depends where the main connection will take place. No point working out some kind of fall if you end up a the wrong spot.
Utter nonsense!

Tonyc - it sounds like there's more to this than meets the eye - can you tell us what the conflicting information is?

Sponsored Links
The conflicting information I am getting is wether the the drop should be 3-5 mm per metre, 3-5 cm per metre 1/8 of inch per foot etc.

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
Utter nonsense!

Tonyc - it sounds like there's more to this than meets the eye - can you tell us what the conflicting information is?

What are you blathering about man?

If the toilet is in position A and the sewer is in position B then they have to meet each other. The building regs are more concerned with minimum falls (1 in 40 from memory) than anything else. Do you suggest that he arrive at the sewer and find that he's gone underneath it? A must meet B with satisfactory falls to allow gravity to work - live with it.

You'll find in reality that the pipe fittings will have an offset to them that is the recommended fall. Simply work out the depth of the sewer where the connection will be made and lay the pipe at the angle of the offset. Then pipe down to it. This will give you the correct fall. That is why the bend fitting has a 92.5 angle - so the water runs downhill.

joe

joe-90 said:
You'll find in reality that the pipe fittings will have an offset to them that is the recommended fall. Simply work out the depth of the sewer where the connection will be made and lay the pipe at the angle of the offset. Then pipe down to it. This will give you the correct fall. That is why the bend fitting has a 92.5 angle - so the water runs downhill.
This is being helpful to the poster.

joe-90 said:
Depends where the main connection will take place. No point working out some kind of fall if you end up a the wrong spot.joe
This is being an unhelpful idiot.

Softus said:
This is a request for more information. If you don't want to read it when it arrives, then look away now.

So whats the final answer, seems like people's ego's got the better of this question :LOL:

SOmeone seems to think that you have to connect it up to wherever things are, and the fall doesn't matter, which is obviously not very wise.

The 1 in 40 fall is the long-revered (McGuire's rule) slope which works well. You can go as shallow as 1 in 100 and it'll work - slowly. At that slope though it's hard to guarantee there won't be any 0º bits in years' time.
1 in 40 is ABSOLUTLEY NOT a minimum, which was wrongly stated above. If the slope is too steep, the water shoots away leaving solids high and dry. That problem gets worse with increasing pipe length. You can't rely on the fittings for the slope either, 2.5º is of course about 1 in 24, and the pipe from the back of old WC's is 14º, or about 1 in 4.

To be safe, work out what you can do, working on 1 in 40. Then talk to your Building Control guys, they're always worth talking to and will advise on how you support your pipe, which may need more than average consideration depending on your soil type.

The answer is it only matters what the BCO says.

BTW if you go against the preset fall of the pipe fitting you will have to bend the pipe either up or down. Suggest it to the BCO - he could do with a laugh.

joe

joe-90 said:

BTW if you go against the preset fall of the pipe fitting you will have to bend the pipe either up or down. Suggest it to the BCO - he could do with a laugh.
Wrong on both counts joe.

Tonyc, listen to ChrisR - I've never known him to be wrong.

Softus said:
joe-90 said:

Wrong on both counts joe.

Tonyc, listen to ChrisR - I've never known him to be wrong.

OK - let's here what you think. Why am I wrong. Let's have the relevant building regs to boot.

BTW he got the Penster thing wrong and I got it right.

joe

joe-90 said:
OK - let's here what you think. Why am I wrong. Let's have the relevant building regs to boot.

I've already said what I think.

joe-90 said:
BTW he got the Penster thing wrong and I got it right.

There there joe - of course you did. Don't worry, we all know that. It was the ickle wickle flow switch all along, just the like the voice in your head told you to say.

Softus said:
I've already said what I think.

In other words you are all hot air. But I knew that all along.

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back