Staircases by entrance question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning an extension and as part of that I'm looking to relocate the front door and create an entrance hallway. I want to create a hall about 1.7m wide with the front door to the left and stairs on the right as you enter. Now can I start the stairs butted up to the front house/extension wall but with a quarter turn at the bottom to save space ? I do don't understand if I can have the front door swing open in front of the stairs landing in this way or not?

Sponsored Links
No; there should normally be an unobstructed clearance of 400mm between a door and the bottom rise. However, if it's a quarter landing at the bottom,
you might get some flexibility from the building inspector.

The essential point is that stairs should be safe in use, and many older houses (mine among them) have front doors opening across the bottom of the flight.

So I would need to start the stairs 400mm further forward or widen the hall by 400 to accommodate the quarter landing. On the regs page it shows a door directly in front of the stairs and not to the side as I planned. I assume it's 400mm gap between the swing of the door and bottom step so in my case I'd need to widen hall?

Sponsored Links
In that first diagram the bottom square is that the bottom steps that corner round or a landing space?

The sketch on the left shows a quarter landing, ie it is one step up from the hall floor.

This is the type of stairs I wanted with landing in front of front door to the side. Are you saying I need 400mm between bottom step and door swing then

Probably the best way to describe it is that when the door swings open or closed, no part of the edge of the door should be nearer than 400 to the bottom step.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back