cowboy builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just watching cowboy builders on channel 5hd, they stated your not allowed to take cover off boiler unless you are gas safe registered. is this correct? we are an niceic conpany and the gas safe firm we wire for have never mentioned this with regard us getting to a job before them, with them telling us to take cover off electrical box inside boiler and carry on with the wiring, obviously taking the main cover off too.

Sponsored Links
Technically you shouldn't but if it's not been wired and your GSR mate will be doing commissioning checks and refitting it after you're done I don't really see that it's a problem. You just shouldn't refit the case yourself and certainly shouldn't turn the boiler on

As been said, it depends.

On some old boilers the case is the seal to the combustion camber.

Sponsored Links
...but if they're going in to wire them up then presumably we're talking about brand new boilers that haven't been commissioned yet here?

An Atmos HE for example can be wired with the case on.

A Vaillant EcoTEC or WB of any kind has to have the front cover removed.

What amazes me though is that boiler installers need a sparky to come and wire the boiler up :eek:

No offence intended OP.

hang on, so can i sit there drinking tea untill the plumbers turn up or not :LOL:

so if i`m not opening up a boiler where the combustion area is opened by doing so i`m ok? combi for example.

some are new and not comissioned and some are not

hi Dan, i know its easy but today for example cable had been run for a room stat and a room stat that needed a 240 volt supply to work had been supplied but the boiler just needed a pair of volt free contacts off a simple room stat with
"caution the room thermostat must have voltage free contacts. connecting 230V to the terminals of the time clock and room thermostat will irreparably damage the p.c.b."
written on the paper work, the plumbers said phone sparky :)

The firm i work for uses an electrician, on a combi we temp and commission the boiler and he comes the day after to do it properly, if its a y plan or similar when he will be there at the same time (usually getting in the way and kicking me tools under the boards :confused: ) cant see why this is a problem if he can be trusted not to do any damage (or lets you know if he does)

They put a fault on a boiler last week where they dropped the pressure on the heating system, and said no one is allowed to touch boilers unless they're gas safe or corgi registrered, so now I'm not even allowed to top up my boiler according to these muppets.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story eh :rolleyes:

The firm i work for uses an electrician, on a combi we temp and commission the boiler and he comes the day after to do it properly

Is doing it that way not a recipe for disaster though?
no argument here just a point for discussion

Matt

just watching cowboy builders on channel 5hd, they stated your not allowed to take cover off boiler unless you are gas safe registered. is this correct? we are an niceic conpany and the gas safe firm we wire for have never mentioned this with regard us getting to a job before them, with them telling us to take cover off electrical box inside boiler and carry on with the wiring, obviously taking the main cover off too.

He actually said you need to be a qualified plumber, go figure.

The firm i work for uses an electrician, on a combi we temp and commission the boiler and he comes the day after to do it properly

Is doing it that way not a recipe for disaster though?
no argument here just a point for discussion

Matt

Fair enough but i've been working with this lad for 10 yrs now and never had any bother. After all he's only wiring it, whats the worst that can happen ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back