downlights in series

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst looking at ronning a power supply for a sauna heater (Thanks for the answer adam151). I lift the floorboards to find my hall lighting has 6 low voltage down lights (each with its own transformer) on one switch but the lights are wired in series not parallel terminating at the last light using 1.5mm T&E. Is this safe?

Sponsored Links
They are not in series - if they were then they wouldn't work, as each transformer would only be getting 38-40V.

pete999 said:
Whilst looking at ronning a power supply for a sauna heater (Thanks for the answer adam151). I lift the floorboards to find my hall lighting has 6 low voltage down lights (each with its own transformer) on one switch but the lights are wired in series not parallel terminating at the last light using 1.5mm T&E. Is this safe?

I don't think that there is a danger if they are connected in series. The issue is that are you sure that this is the case?

Sponsored Links
being pedantic is all well and good, but you haven't corrected the error of pete999's ways. He may go on believing his transformers are wired in series . . .

pete mate (where have i heard that before? answers on a postcard ;) ) your transformers are wired in parallel. But they have been put on a daisychain circuit as opposed to a star circuit. This is perfectly safe to do before the transformer (as in this case), as the currents are quite low. After the transformer, things get a bit shaky if you have 6 lights because the current is quite high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back