Opening up under the stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if you guy's could give me some advice on opening under my stairs & if a wall underneath my stairs is a supporting wall?

Basically it's 1970 house & the upper larger half is where the boiler is installed as usual & I would like to open up the bottom half of my stairs to use for storage.

I've had a look & the wall is made of the hollow concrete bricks with some normal bricks & motar to meet the stairs.

Although on closer inspection the wall only comes up to a piece of plasterboard which is only fixed to the bottom of the stairs by 1 little batten running up the stairs.

So is this actually a supporting wall for the stairs since there seems to be a gap in between the top of the wall & the stairs?

There is also a small triangular shaped wall (60cms wide) at the bottom of 1 side of the stairs only, not both which seems to be support the stairs? But why only 1 side?

Apart from that there don't seem to be any other fixings or supports for under the stairs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A picture or two would speak a thousand words, but I doubt the wall is holding up your stairs, would be quite unusual.

Hi Chappers,

Sure, what is the best way to put up some images?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
No idea why the wall is there. You could support the staircase temporary when removing the wall and see how the string is fitted to the side wall then take it from there, nothing to stop you supporting the string if need be afterward.

Hi,

Thanks for putting up the photos.

Pic 1 = Top of wall meeting the Pasterboard.
Pic 2 = Gap between PB, Batten & Stairs.
Pic 3 = Small Wall on one side only.
Pic 4 = Corner view of Pic1 with actual load bearing wall on right side.

I've also worked out what going on with the small wall on the side.

There is wall for that side of the bottom section, so they built a wall to sit flush with the edge of the stairs. So thus its underneath the stairs.

Cheers

Hi,

I've had a look at the stringers & can't see any fixings to the side walls at all.

Apologies previous message should have said.

"There is NO wall for that side of the bottom section, so they built a wall to sit flush with the edge of the stairs. So thus its underneath the stairs."

I'm guessing since all the walls are brick in this house & there is not 1 stud wall, just liked brick!

If I remember the advice about lintels, a sheet of plasterboard & a batten wasn't really considered up to the job !?!?

I guess putting in some bolts for extra support can never hurt either.

Cheers

No need you stair will be supported by the floor joists upstairs, those walls aren't supporting your stairs or shouldn't be.

diy79 said:
I guess putting in some bolts for extra support can never hurt either.
Although you don't need to but I always do! I just feel it just to give a bit more solid feel and less springy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back