noise from my combi boiler - help!

vik

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

You may need to get a cup of cocoa before reading this... its a damn essay and my silliness will probably wind you *right* up. :oops:

My combi boiler makes a screeching noise when switched on in the morning either to run the CH or to provide Hot Water ! The screeching comes from inside the boiler and sounds like a angle grinder on a slate tile (if that helps).

When I switch off the CH/HW the noise stops. Once the CH/HW is switched off, the noise kind of peaks a bit (for .5 of a sec) and then stops. I tried switching the boiler off and re lighting the pilot etc. no joy. :(

The problem started yesterday. The noise disappeared after about 30mins of me starting the CH & then switching the CH off when the noise started. It fixed itself after about 40mins of me doing the switch on CH/HW & switch off CH/HW routine. Once the noise went, it did not come back. Even in the evening I used the CH/HW & NO noise.

I live in a converted terraced house, so i have the upstairs flat and there is a couple that have the downstairs flat. The combi boiler is wall mounted and is an Ocean 88-FF Style (I think).

Anyway, this morning it happened again. I started doing the on off routine, when I remembered that the problem stopped yesterday when downstairs flushed their toilet... me thought coincidence.... but I flushed my toilet, no joy. Then at around 6:10 downstairs flushed their loo (no, I was not playing peeping tom; you can hear their loo tank filling up) and I kicked off the CH. And it came on with *no* noise!!???!? Does that make sense? How can downstairs flushing their loo make the difference to my boiler making a noise??

Please help

Additional info
Downstairs definitely did something with the water... my little electric shower (hence, does not use the combi) normally used to treacle rather than, well, shower. But that changed over the summer. I don't know what they did, (will ask when I get back home today) but the shower has a *lot* more pressure now! :p

Sponsored Links
perhaps the local water board have increased the pressure? (it does change from time to time where i live)

I am not a plumber or heating engineer, so wait untill our "resident" heating / plumbers get home, but i would say your screaching noise (good description) is something in the fan or the fan is loose on the shaft.

-------------------

on the lighter side;

I am glad i do not live with in your house, i would not fancy being covered in treacle every time i went for a shower ) normally used to treacle rather than, well, shower

sorry :( i nearly fell off my chair laughing, that has made my day

I dont think that the water pressure improvment has anything to do with the noise as it would not be noisey when only the CH is on or is it

Believe OL'Breezer is right with the fan, could also be the pump but not as likely. Sorry to say but I would advise an engineer calls

Ocean Combi dont see many of them these days................GOOD ;)

breezer said:
sorry :( i nearly fell off my chair laughing, that has made my day

no need to be sorry dude, it just goes to show that the Spell Check button can only do so much :LOL:

I noticed last night that the noise was still present intermitantly (quite softly this time) in the evening.

I'm looking for a reputable HE in my area.... heard and seen too many botch jobs that have cost people a LOAD of money

cheers for the replies guys
-V

Sponsored Links
m8 @ work said that 'cause the noise starts when the CH/HW is started but BEFORE the actual fire in the boiler starts, it could be the fan or some sort of fan related problem. he told me I could probably fix it :eek:

does that sound plausable?
if so, how much should a plumber charge to fix that? & should they be CORGI registered?

cheers

have you checked that there isn't to much water preassure in the combi sys'. between the 1 and 2 on the dial should be ok. just a thought if too much pressure then relief valuve can screeech into action.
check it :evil:

vik said:
m8 @ work said that 'cause the noise starts when the CH/HW is started but BEFORE the actual fire in the boiler starts, it could be the fan or some sort of fan related problem. he told me I could probably fix it :eek:

does that sound plausable?
if so, how much should a plumber charge to fix that? & should they be CORGI registered?

cheers

as both me a breezer said it is most likely the fan yes i ithink that sounds plausable :rolleyes:

Price for fixing it, should not take more than an hour but aint got a clue on the price or the availibity of an ocean fan sorry,

YES CORGI needed as you are taking the boier apart a little bit, sure lots of people will disagree thou :LOL:

cheers corgiman,

got a local engineer comin down to take a look this evening. he only lives down the road from me :D

thanks a bunch guys

got a quote..
180 for new fan inc labour ! :eek:
900 for a new boiler :eek: :eek: :eek:
the guy said that boilers over 12 years should be replaced..... (I guess thats probably true)

any comments ???

A complete fan assembly costs about 135 inc vat at trade price and the boiler is entirely dependant on what make, model and type you are looking at replacing it with if it's the prices you're worried about....if you're after an opinion on which way way to go I'd say replacement with a new well respected tried and tested model

Agree replace the thing

ideal icos condensing combi 30-100 #650 plus VAT

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS !

It was the FAN !! :)
local plumber (lives 5 doors away) came along and fixed it... charged me 50quid. Gave the whole boiler a good clean 2 :D
Aparently, I called him at the right time... he siad that cleaning the fan and the surrounding area would do the trick & it *DID* :LOL: :LOL:

Any one looking for a good plumber in the Ilford area let me know, i'll pass on his details.

-V
ps - WARM happy bunny :)

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS !

It was the FAN !! :)
local plumber (lives 5 doors away) came along and fixed it... charged me 50quid. Gave the whole boiler a good clean 2 :D
Aparently, I called him at the right time... he siad that cleaning the fan and the surrounding area would do the trick & it *DID* :LOL: :LOL:

Any one looking for a good plumber in the Ilford area let me know, i'll pass on his details.

-V
ps - WARM happy bunny :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back